Site Feedback

Why american like to do community service? What community service did you do before?

Why american like to do community service? Even young children are required to do community service for certain hours? What community service did you do before? Why did you choose to do that?

Share:

Comments

In metaphysics Alice, there  are references to something termed generally as the Great Law of Action.

It means that What you do,  determines what you are. 

Also, the More you do, determines the strength you acquire.

Therefore,  wise people know that they should be of use and service to their fellow man.

Arguably then,  those who  do no service,  and  have no use to their fellow man, run the risk of being displaced.  Those who do work,  grow, and the more you do the more you grow.

These ideas are framed in  spiritual knowledge which informs us that there is no place to rest in this Earth. One who does not keep going,  diminishes.

Comined with this idea, is that Love fullfills the requirement for action and service.  Love  is demonstrated by action, and not merely by  reflecting upon some flowery sentiment  about "the world" and "people".  Love and action become synonymous.  Of course,  it may be possible for some to manifest love, and thus set the Great Law into motion.  For the religious, it is axiomatic that Love Fulfilleth the Law.

Therefore,  my teaching is my charitable volunteer work.  Beyond that, the other activities I engage in are also my "volunteer" work.   They do not need to be enumerated for the public knowledge.  There are better graces bestowed,  when Self-Forgetting is the operating principle.

Wow, very interesting and inspiring point of view, Bruce. 

Why american like to do community service?

I think many Americans believe that to be well-rounded, you should engage in various types of activities throughout your life.  This includes sports, extra-curricular activities, church, social events, work, community service and play.  Most institutions (schools, business, church, government, etc.) support this idea and have created an environment where people feel it normal or expected, to participage in such activities.  Volunteer work is one such example.  Volunteer work is encouraged and rewarded by society at all levels.  You get recognized at work (employers allow you to take time off from the office to do volunteer work or they match your donations with their own money), students are awarded scholarships based in part on their community service, and of course you gain favor with church and God when you help your fellow neighbor :)

Even young children are required to do community service for certain hours?

Maybe.  I never had to, but it's possible some schools or churches have the kids perform some kind of community service.

What community service did you do before?

Cleaned up parks, grew vegetables for the surrounding community, gave presentations to high school students to help them prepare for college, collected food for the needy, taught workshops on recycling, etc.

Why did you choose to do that?

In part, for the above reasons.  Community service is built into the system.  Few universities would think too highly of a student with high grades but nothing to show for community service, civic duty, extra-curricular activities, or some other form of participation in society. 

On a personal level, it feels good.  I find that happiness is often the measure of my service to others.

Add a comment