Site Feedback
Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

How do you express happiness for someone else in Korean?

When someone gains something happy and I wish to say something like "Good for you!" in a good way, how do you express that?

I've heard a phrase that sounds somethine like "cho-get-da" but can't find it in Hangeul on Google. Any ideas?

Share:

Comments

I'm not sure what it is specifically that you've heard, but 좋게 (joh-geh) means "well" (adj. I think) and that looks a bit like "cho-get." I think 잘했다 (jal-haet-da) can also be used to mean "you did well." 잘했어요 (jal-haess-eo-yo) is more formal/polite, and 잘했습니다 is honorific. 

The closest thing I think to what you actually want is something like congratulations. 축하해요 (chook-ha-hae-yo) is the informal polite way to say this (you can take the '-yo' off the end if you're talking with a close friend or a hubae/dongsaeng), and 축하합니다 (chook-ha-hap-ni-da) is honorific. 

"I'm really happy for you" --> 너를 위해 정말 잘됐어 (neo-neun wi-hae jeong-mal jal-dwaess-eo)

I'm not a native 한국어 speaker and I'm still learning, so maybe someone with more experience with the language has something else/better to offer ^^

*side note, you may have heard the expression for happy birthday, 생일축하합니다 (saeng-il-chook-ha-hap-ni-da), which is basically saying congratulations for the day you were brought to life.

**another side-note, what I thought of when I saw your "cho-get-da" is 죽겠다 (jook-get-da), which means "I'm dying!" (literal: I'm going to die). People use it a lot as exaggeration, like 배고파 죽겠다 (bae-go-pah jook-get-da), "I'm starving" / "I'm dying of hunger" 

Add a comment