Site Feedback
Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

how people from different countries cope with stress or depression due to overwork?

I want to know how people from different countries cope with stress or depression due to overwork? Most Russian as European works 40 hours per week (8 hours a day). I work 10-11 hours a day. Sometimes I work up to 16 hours a day. I know that Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese overwork too. I am interested, is there the set of norms, behaviors, beliefs, and customs in your culture which helps you to cope with stress/depression due to overwork?

Share:

Comments

I used to work 15+ hours (two jobs actually, 8+ hours plus 7+ hours) a day. It was crazy, so crazy that I felt like dying every single day (no kidding).

Try to find time to take a nap as much as you can, even though the permission you've got is for 10 minutes only.

Yes, it's pretty common in East Asian. Also, I heard of a funny saying, that is, when you are an employee you work 8 hours a day and when you are a boss you work 16 hours a day--who is more miserable, it's up to you, haha

I think that if you find psychological comfort in your work, you will not be interested in stress , in other word psychological comfort is main factor to be happy

LAst week, Monday to Friday I was sooo busy with my work that I only sleep 2 hours per day after a busy weekdays I slept for 22 hours. I slept Saturday 10 am and I woke up Sunday 8 am. It was really good. I tried to sleep for 24 hours but we had a visitors and they were noisy :( ... Mostly people here cope up with their stress by eating, shopping, hanging out with friends, sleeping and going to beach.

I used to work 7 days a week ,8 hours a day. It was so crazy, wasn't it? (5 days for the full time job and 2 days for the part time job) I got stess from less sleep and not enjoy with my colleauges. What I did was to talk to my close friend for releasing my stress(complain what happened during the day) and I stoped working whenever I feel " I can't make it any more" by taking my day off. I try not to push myself to the deeper of stress because it could make me be crazy and I would have to see a psychologist. 

Thank you for your answers!

mishaspEaking, sometimes I nap during lunch :)

M.A.L.I.K, yes! I am happy. It is a very interesting job. I get good experience. But it is a very responsible job so sometimes I get stress.

Doris Day Δωρίς, Russian and Philippines people are very similar in the fight with stresses.

Nutjaya Aramkul, it is a interesting thought. If my energy runs out, then I will leave the job.

If I have to work over time as usual , I would resign to find another proper job . I do not want to live for workc. That is not the destination I struggle for .  If other options available , I would rather enjoy my life more instead of consuming all of my time in work . I consider over work or underemployment is wortheless  . I would like to evaluate why I have to overwork all the time or  if this job can bring prmosing vision for my prospective career .That really matters if I am going to overwork all the while  . Back to the core of your question , I would try to find my fun in my work to persuade myself to overwork happier . At all events , it is suffering hard to take it for a long time .

I used to work 9 hours per day and i had to cope with too much stress and responsabilities. Finally, a new job was the solution, because the health is always the priority. 

Meantime, i would suggest you to try  a suitable time to practice some sports. Physical exercise helps you to uses up excess adrenaline. Choose your favourite sport so you will also enjoy the excercise.

allen, it is a good proposal to find my fun in my work.
Adri, thanks for your answer. It is a good proposal too :)

Vladimir, I agree with you on the Chinese, Korean, Japanese work ethics and work culture.  To answer your question, I would say it is a matter of how you think (your attitude).

I don't work hard.  I work smart.  I absolutely hate it when someone praises me for being a hardworker.  Some of my ex bosses used to say that. ~!@#$%^&*()_

I am paid overtime, and I had worked 16 hours straight a few days.  I had worked 15, 14, 13, ... hours straight as well.  I am also on standby mode 24/7, so I may get work emails close to midnight which I am expected to respond to right away.

It is hard to predict what life will throw at us.  But when life throws lemons at me, I try to make lemonade out of them.  So one way I cope with it is that I am confident that I can handle whatever comes my way.

Another thing about attitude is that, you should not let work bother you outside of work.  At work, I want to do well, partly because I have a career reputation to protect.  Outside of work, I have a "don't know, don't care" attitude, unless someone at work contacts me, then I try to finish it off swiftly.

I  really interest with this topic. :)

When I really have a stressful day, I used to use a religiou cpong style. I took sereval minutes to take a break from all my works and then I pray. It somehow helps me to relax and feel calm. The feeling that I've got after doing this is unexplainable but morely I feel that I'm not alone having this stressful day. That thoughts make me realize and help me cope with my stressful day.

Another things; I like to write and do blogging. Writing some poetry or article helps me explore my feeling and somehow when I post it (my poem or writing) it reduces my stress rate. 

Add a comment