Site Feedback

Can a language change the personality?

I am used to talking freely about almost evrything. I never fail to give my opinions and to make lond speeches about any topic. Many people know for my out going personality and the way I like gushing with friends. However, when it comes to speaking English, it likes I become another person and the ton of my voice changes. I literally become shy and words refuse to come out. It is not about vocabulary or knowing what to say.

I feel like my personality changes depending on what language I am speaking. Do you think it is possible?

NB: Feel free to correct any mistake you would find.

Share:

Comments

Yannicool:

I  think I know why.  

I tell my students that one of the key elements in learning to speak English, is the expression of Feelings.  That is one reason I use songs for lessons.  Most songs involve the communication of  strong feelings.

English lends itself to the expression of powerful  feeling, and to speak it easily and naturally,  a student should be prepared to learn to put feeling into their words.

Thus,  trying to express English,  without feeling,  makes learning awkward.  I think this to be the critical barrier  for many students.   They approach English as though Flat Tones,

(tones without much feeling)   will work for them. Often it does not.

Thanks. Is there any tips to overcome that?

Add a comment