If i learn Chinese can i understand Taiwanese when i go there?
Taiwanese generally speak Chinese Mandarin,Some people say that China Mandarin will merge Taiwan dialect:)
As long as you are using Mandarin Chinese, then yes in Taiwan they can understand you, but keep in mind that in some areas of Taiwan, people may not understand or speak Mandarin, due to the fact that other dialects/languages co-exist in Taiwan. The same rule exists in Malaysia and Singapore
Mandarin comes with two writing systems, Simplified and Traditional Chinese. What you've been learning is Simplified Chinese, which is the official language in Mainland China. In Taiwan, people use Traditional Chinese. It is not the same as its local dialect called Taiwanese. Almost everyone in Taiwan is fluent in Mandarin, but not everyone is fluent in Taiwanese. Not knowing Taiwanese should not post as a problem in communication. Simplified and Traditional Chinese mainly differ in some characters used. Some words and expressions mainlanders use are not commonly used in Taiwan. How big is the difference? It is hard to quantify. You may think of them as British English and American English. But it is my observation that people from mainland and Taiwan don't find communication with each other a problem. I was born and raised in Taiwan and my Taiwanese leaves a lot to be desired, but if there is any question about Traditional Mandarin please let me know. Taiwanese people are in general well educated, polite, and willing to help others. I am sure you will find plenty of them on this site to help you learn everything that is to be learned in Traditional Chinese and Taiwanese. Good luck!
Thank you each and everyone!
You've truely helped me! I am so greatful for that.
Thank you again. [:
- How to face the mother's nagging ?
- New friends Group
- There are a lot of French words prounce like English words, how to remember those words without confusion?
- Any Chinese learners feel Chinese is harder than other Asia languages?
- The college entrance examination Chinese in Russia
- Everyone would likes to be my friend?
- Interesting “round table” programs on Youtube
- half life, half life 2, episode 1, episode 2.
- Why do people learn Hindi.
- what the meaning of this スタ／＼?