Site Feedback

What is school like in your country?

There has been a lot of proposals for changing education in the U.S., which got me to wondering what education systems are like elsewhere. How are schools organized in your country? Is it mandatory for everyone? What kinds of things do you learn about? etc...

I'll start: In the U.S., kids can start school as young as 3-5 years, in "preschool". From what I remember, preschool was a lot of playing and exploring. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's required for all kids to go to preschool.

From there, kids will go on to "kindergarten" when they are 5-6 years old. Grades K-5 are a part of "elementary school". Grades 6-8 are called "middle school" or "junior high". Grades 9-12 are called "high school". After kindergarten, kids enter 1st grade and continue up until 12th grade. Generally, the day is split into hour long blocks or so of lessons in a certain subject - math, english, art, etc... Generally subjects are chosen for you to study unless you're in high school, where you might get to choose a few of your classes. Usually there's a recess for 15 - 30 minutes around lunchtime too.

After students turn 16 years old, they are not required to go to school anymore, but most do anyways. There is usually a lot of tests that are given, especially as you get older. By the time we graduated from high school, most of my classmates hated school so much that they didn't want to continue on to college.

Share:

Comments

I am from Egypt, We have from three to four stages in our education system. The first stage is the preschool it accepts kids as young as 3-5 years old, it was a lot of playing too, and it is not mandatory as well. After that they join the primary school when they reach 6 years old, they spend in primary school 6 years nowadays-it was 5 years for my "old sys"-in the first 3 years of the primary school they study lite and easy materials Like Arabic, English and Math just fundamentals.
but the other 3 years they study some more subjects like History, science..etc
The third stage is the prep school, it is for kids of 12 years old and it takes is 3 years of study.
in prep school they study additional subjects like geography and additional languages branches like novel, literature and poetry for Arabic language. actually i don't remember all of the materials.
the 4th stage is the secondary school, it is the most important phase because according or depending on your grade in this school you will got the university college you deserve.
so in secondary school they study additional subjects like philosophy, physiology, history, geography, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, Chemistry,Sociology and Biology..etc.
actually in this stage there are three departments. each department leads to one college of a group of colleges.
e.g. the Biology department leads to colleges like Medicine, nursing, dentistry.
the students' final result will decide their destiny in university. it is not optional to chose you prefered field join but your grade do. so most of students join colleges which they don't like or didn't wish. and this is so sad issue.

after that they may join university or not, it is optional , but most of them do.
the period of studying in university depends on the college itself, for example my college takes 4 years of study but Medicine takes 7 years..etc.
After that they graduate and become unemployed ^_^

Very interesting!

M_rk_s: I can see your frustration. In American schools, it's not required to learn a foreign language. I think this is a stupid policy. Most high school offer a foreign languauge or two. In my case, my high school only offered spanish, which I wasn't interested in. But luckily I got a chance to start learning a language I was interested in when I started at my university. 

Is there a North Korean or Chinese "Saved by the Bell"? With an equivalent Zach, Screech, et al. I forget their names. I'm sure there's a 'principle such and such' also.

Alex:

I do not know what you are indicating . Can you offer us more clues for your mention ?

HI; lvansomeren

Have you ever seen a documentary film broadcasted on HBO channel

"WAITING FOR SUPERMEN"

If you were interested in education , I would recommend you watch this film and savor how the film try to express , how poor for some disadvantaged children  

It is a iconic , yet practical film talking about how the public school system works in washington DC , US
It is a long time for federal public elementary school to be criticized
People (parents or officials ) tried to find some culprits to be responsible for their current education They hope there are some responsible teachers (supermen) who can be more eligible for children's education 
The reform of the whole education system is necessary for children's future.

Eventually ,  they found teachers themselves built in the core system are the biggest problem!
Teachers and their association have formed a forceful group to defeat reform .
Without closing up some corrupted schools and dismissing some incompetent teachers , there is no chance to overcome the obstacle .

I believe, where there is public school , there is something to be reformed 
It is not ended yet... 

not gooood... :))

Language learning is a matter with attitude instead of competency . I have seen many people who are not willing to learn local language just because their attitude against the language  .Even they have lived here for years , they reject to pay any effort to local language learning . I dislike them at all and I think they are good for nothing . 

Ivansomeren, I think foreign language requirements vary by state or school district. In my state we were required to take at least two years of a foreign language to graduate from high school. Nowadays in my state elementary and middle schools are required to teach a foreign language. My children started having Spanish lessons twice a week in kindergarten(although they weren't very effective). When they reach middle school they can continue with Spanish or switch to German or French. At the high school level there are additional language options. Of course the number of options can vary widely depending on the size of the school district.

Allen, I have seen Waiitng for Superman, and it is a very one-sided film. I don't know if this site is accessible outside of the US, but it provides some additional information. 

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/education-of-michelle-rhee/

Hello I am from Indonesia

Here, we have nine years of compulsory education, consisting of 6 years at elementary school level and 3 years in secondary level. However children can start school at two in pre-school playgroup, then continue attending the kindergarten at three or four ( it is not mandatory as it is aimed to prepare them for elementary school).
Students aged 6 attend primary school, we call it "Sekolah Dasar". There they spend 6 years learning some subjects like Mathematics, religious education, Bahasa Indonesia, English, Locals or traditional languages, natural and social science in general, civics and moral education, and physical education.
After finishing the primary school, the students are required to attend junior secondary school ( Sekolah menengah pertama) and will spend three years there to complete the programs. Students are taught some more subjects as natural science and social science subjects are divided into several categories, like biology, chemsitry, physics, geography, sociology etc. Those who completed junior secondary programs may continue the high school which is divided into two groups: SMA (Sekolah Menengah Atas/ senior secondary school) wherein the students are prepared for the university entrance, and SMK (Sekolah menengah Kejuruan/ Vocational senior secondary school) in which the students undertake vocational studies and are prepared for their careers.
Besides the private, and public schools that are supervised by the ministry of education and culture, there are Islamic schools which are under the responsibility of the ministry of religious affairs, like Pondok pesantren or the islamic boarding school for those who want to seek for the detailed understanding of the qur'an, Arabic language, shari'a, muslim tradition and its history. the other subjects like Mathematics, English, social sciences,a nd natural sciences are also taught in the Pesantren.

Add a comment