Site Feedback

Can speaking slang in another language help you understand subtle differences in meaning between languages?

In every culture, we have our own slang, idioms, sayings and culturally specific humor that loses much of its meaning and/or effectiveness through translation. I think that by trying to figure out the origin of common vernacular gives us greater insight into the actual usage of another language, and how it is manipulated by its native speakers.

Do you think that it would be helpful, and potentially more interesting, engaging and modern for students to be able to speak the common dialect of a language, as well as understanding the grammatical aspects of it? 

Share:

Comments

I did my masters Degree on Slang ... language change done by youth

Very interesting. One of my English professors once told me that often, in English, what is "correct" is just what most people have decided to say. And over time, you have to accept the change in the language.

English was not my first language, and I became fascinated with English idioms, sayings and slang (from the 1920s to now). I think that understanding the historical context and origin of this type of language can really help you gain the trust and confidence of someone who is from a different culture, because it creates common ground between people.

what is your skype id :

i am intersted to improve germany

Add a comment