Site Feedback

do you think we can learn language without learning grammer?

I like learning language, speaking foreign language is very joyful to me.

but studying grammerbook is most hardest thing whenever i learn language.

do you think can we speak foreign language without any understanding about grammer like baby?

Share:

Comments

If you're talking about "speaking", as in conversing, I think it is possible as long as the person we are talking to understands what we are talking about.

However, if it's "learning", grammar has to be one of the learning curves in any language, isn't it? :)

Yeah, you just need to do a lot of input activities (reading and listening) but, you are still learning grammar, just studying it out of a textbook or grammar book. It's still a good idea to have something to reference grammar (like a website or small book like: "Essential [Insert language here] Grammar" type of book and be sure it has clear examples of how to use it too.) as well.  After, you've have done a lot of input, you can then do a lot of output (speaking and writing) too.

It all depends on how you learn languages. Some people find studying grammar to be essential, while I only like to reference it and need clear examples of who to use it. Otherwise I would find it to be hindering my progress if focus on grammar too much.)

From my own experience I say that is better learning english or any other language without focusing too much in boring grammar rules. In fact, I used to study grammar everyday consistently and making a lot of boring exercises with boring and useless grammar text books, and I forgot the majority I learnt from them. They didn´t help me to have better writing, speaking and listening skills. I only lost my time and felt frustrated of no seeing any progress.  I agree with Soren words and since this year I started focusing on Input firstly and then output what I previously learnt. I think is better focusing on Audio input rather than Visual input (Reading) because no matter how you slice it language is essentially an Audio skill (even if you are reading in your native language, you will notice that you will speak with yourself) In youtube or Itunes you will find a lot of funny audio input and some of them come with its transcripts. I recommend you to listen many times the same materials until you are familiar with all the words, and you are fully capable to use those new words automatically and naturally. Don´t worry about mistakes because they are your friends the more mistakes you make the faster and better you will speak your target language. Grammar books also didn´t help you improve your mistakes, whereas input does. Find as many friendly language partners  as you can and don´t be afraid of go out your comfort zone. Another helpful advice is to mimic actors or actresses of tv shows that you enjoy. It is not only very helpful but also very funny. Good luck with your language learning. By the way, I share with you that passion of learning languages.

Hello Jieun:

I think you can bypass  a   great deal of grammatical study and focus on   core ideas which become the subject of dialogue, whether written or spoken.

You can learn  a  great deal from reading over song lyrics and nursery rhymes with language partner, when the partner "leading" you  instead of following you.

In other words, don't get caught up in the unpleasant circumstance where the partner invites you to read or speak, and them following you with criticisms and corrections.

Find a partner who will lead you through a text,   showing first how to pronounce all of it a phrase at a time.    Your vocabulary will grow gradually, and you will begin to remember phrases which you can use later in your speaking and writing.

Repetition is very important I think. It does not help to study something and then forget it.

In English it is easy to be understood even with bad grammar. If you say "Ball red is that." people will still understand you usually, especially if it is in context. You might sound a little silly but you can make yourself understood.

I think it is very different in Korean, if I say something that isn't completly correct they do not understand me at all T.T

So maybe it depends on the language?

I think u should learn some grammers rule ( basics ) and after ( if u dont apply job or any test ) you should work about pratics ...

Without learning basic grammar , you would waste a lot of time in trying error to establish your English sense . People who live in English speaking environment for years can speak English also without knowing grammar rules . I consider native speakers can perceive what they are expressing . However, they need plenty of time to revise their sentences to pursuit collocation . In other words , they have to spend more time in reorganization than people who have learned basic grammar rules . You may try speak without learning basic grammar . I think you had better find a native speaker to practice English day and night . That is frequently seen on lover basis or you pay for a teacher to practice with you . 

Hi Holly ;

For an English beginner , simple sentences with some grammar mistakes can be still recognized by most native speakers , I agree with  you . But if you want to express your emotion under complex situations , you have to use proper words and adequate collocation to make your speaking recognizable . I guess English is similar to most languages (including my mother tongue) in the world . At the beginning of my speaking , some of my English teachers cannot learn what I am saying even I put all vocabulary I learned into my sentences . I conceive I need more training in collocation .

Hi Jieun

I think you have to define how much time you want to converse with some other people fluently and if you have close native English speakers who can take much time to practice with you.

Time and environment can decide how you achieve it. BELIEVE ME 

If you want to say simple things and only use simple phrases, I think you can do it without studying the grammar. But beyond that you will need to study the grammar of the language you are studying. Personally I know Americans and Cubans that speak French without having studied the grammar but they make a lot of mistakes and sometimes people do not understand what they really want to say. They are just using the grammatical structures of their natives tongues, and they have a weird, not natural way to say things. Anyway Spanish and French are close enough that they can get by. 

But for languages like Korean and another western language, I have the feeling that this is not going to work. They are just too different. Once you want to start making complex sentences you have to study the Korean grammar. There is no short cut. If you do not learn its grammar, you will never be able to speak it properly.

Actually, I never thought to learn another language would be this difficult. Retrospectively, the other languages I studied were relatively easy to learn.

As for english, I learned it mainly by reading newspapers and books, watching movies and speaking to other people. I never felt the urge to learn the English grammar properly. 

But I do not think that I will be able to do that with Korean.

In conclusion, all boils down to which level of fluency you want to achieve and what your mother tongue is.

If you want to speak the language well, then you will need to learn the grammar. How you learn it is another question.

Add a comment