Can somebody tell me why we pronounce "one" like "won" and not "oh-ne?"
Because English spelling rules are stupid.
Actually 'one' should be pronounced the same as 'own' using the normal spelling rules of English.
If you re-arrange the letters of 'own' you can get 'won', right?
How words should be spelled using normal English spelling rules:
one/won - wun
have - hav
two - too
English - Inglish
Wall - Wahl
Light - Lite
Height - Hite
Weight - Wayt
Floor - Flaw
Sure - Shaw
Me - Mee
I - Ie/Y/Ai
You - Yoo
We - Wee
English has a lot of exceptions to it's normal spelling rules.
- Is there an advanced English learner free in to practice English now?
- what does the meaning of "in the league table of countries",and how to use it.
- which culture dose Nigeri belongs to，high context culture or low context culture?
- Are you a horror movie fan?
- Japanese language partners
- how about your weather?
- I will to travel next year
- what is your favourite podcast?
- Learning Article : Simple Tips For Better Japanese Pronunciation