Can somebody tell me why we pronounce "one" like "won" and not "oh-ne?"
Because English spelling rules are stupid.
Actually 'one' should be pronounced the same as 'own' using the normal spelling rules of English.
If you re-arrange the letters of 'own' you can get 'won', right?
How words should be spelled using normal English spelling rules:
one/won - wun
have - hav
two - too
English - Inglish
Wall - Wahl
Light - Lite
Height - Hite
Weight - Wayt
Floor - Flaw
Sure - Shaw
Me - Mee
I - Ie/Y/Ai
You - Yoo
We - Wee
English has a lot of exceptions to it's normal spelling rules.
- How can you be language teachers on italki ？
- تعلم العربية معي
- I'm looking for a partner for whatsapp who's learning Portuguese.
- ENGLISH - PORTUGUESE PARTNER @ WHATSAPP
- Blood donation. Do you think it must be forced or not ?
- The beauty of math
- Diseño gráfico en España
- Impariamo l'italiano ,cucinando.Modo di dire legati al cibo: FARSI I CAVOLI PROPRI,NON VALERE UN CAVOLO
- what is the meaning of the sentence.
- what's your most favourite words ?