Site Feedback

What is School like in your country?

I am studying to be a teacher of English as a second language.  I have been looking at places I would like to teach.  A regional school or college in China is my first preference.  One of the things that strikes me, is that class sizes are much larger than I am used to.  

I am very interested to hear how your school experience is different to mine.  I suspect there are very interesting cultural differences here.

Perhaps we can share some experiences?

~~Andrew

Share:

Comments

First come visit the Philippines. i'm sure you will be accomodated as you are very good with your native

tongue. our school is the same with  other countries. it is run by Public (Government) and Private

(privately established Non Government) its medium of instruction is mostly Combined British/American

Englishes. It is in its second year implementation of K-12 curriculum for grade school and High school.

( a 3 years kindergarten, 7 years in Grade School , and 6  years in High School) with minimum of 4 years in College depending on the course to choose and a maximum of 10 years for other Degrees. we have Premier universities and Colleges that produces Excellent if not Outstanding individuals that can globally

compete with other nations.

It depends on where you teach in the world as class sizes vary greatly. I taught in Korea for a year (loved it, excellent $$$) and had no more then 10 kids in a class. For ESL learners the classes should be small because people need to practice and get specialized attention. In places such as Canada, ESL classes can top 40 people which is too many.

For China, how many students you get will depend on the school.

I am here right now if you have any other questions. Feel free to DM.

: )

Ang

I think almost chinese student will like foreign teachers...and respect foreign teachers.

but many student are very shy and no english,so they will not active to talk to you.

maybe you will think chinese student is cold and detached ,but is not .chinese studet is very respect foreign teachers!and that is one of the reasons.

But I think pay money is less than other country(e.g. Korea ) .And almonst school more then 40 kids in a class.

welcome to China,i believe you will love here,english is the scond language in China,whether you can speak chinese or not,you can live normal life here(you can learn chinese in china),english is very important to Chinese,so i think it is easy for you to find a good job.if you want to know more,you can contact with me of the skype(ella123167)

best wishes

I am just beginning to learn Mandarin.  I am studying at RMIT University, in Melbourne.  In our Chinese class, there are about nine students.  This is probably smaller than most classes at RMIT.  So we are rather spoilt.  We get quite a bit of individual attention.  It is more like a tute, than a lecture.

Some of my Chinese friends have shown me photos of classes where there were perhaps one hundred students in the room!  I would find it rather scary to teach so many.

Unfortunately, the Philippine government forbids foreign teachers to teach anything except under special circumtances considering the fact that many Filipino citizen teachers are struggling to get employed. Being a simultaneous bilingual country, we found no need of foreign English teachers. Our education system uses both Filipino and English as media of instruction. Teachers may tend to code-switch every now and then to relay things smoothly to students when something cannot be explained in a single language.

I heard worse cases happening in public schools where each class are composed of 50-90 kids and some even share classrooms with other sections. I went to a private school during my early years, our class was composed of 30-40 students. The same goes when I attended college in another private institution. So I'm assuming that number is prevalent in every private school. :/

Why not try your luck in Dubai? I heard foreign English teachers there earn around $3,000 - $5,000. Or atleast in Japan with 2 grand a month + accomodation. ;)

Well, will u like to be an english teacher in Hong Kong (a special administrative region in China)?

Most of the classes in primary schools and secondary schools, there are only no more than 40 students in a class.

My secondary school have one regular foregin Enlgish teacher and a NET (Native-speaking English Teacher) for organising activities related to English learning only.

Most of the students, especially girls, love chatting with the NET in the activities, leisure time(eg. in lunch time and after school) or on the facebook!

In addition, I think becoming a NET in Hong Kong is well-paid compared to that of other cities in mainland China.

However, Hong Kong people speak Cantonese, which is a well-known dialect/language in China, but not Putonghua. um... I believe the Putonghua level of HK poeple will become better in the forseeable future... orz

p.s. Here is a link related to NET recruitment, you may take a look at it:)

http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/curriculum-development/resource-support/net/index.html

Have you ever joined any politican activities in Asian society though I am not sure if there is any election compaign in the area of China you live . In Taiwan , tens thousands of people gathered on the street for a encouging speech . People are longing for a politician superstar to save their lives or to resolve ordeal .  Rather than a professional teacher  , you prefer to work as a politician star while you are facing more than 40 people in the class . As you cannot get reciprocal response in the face of so many students in the class.  Believe it or not , it will help you do better if you think you are great . I was ever a lecturer of University , first impression , you would be scared by more than 1 houndred of students in front of you . I was scared honestly .  However, make yourself like a movie star , perform a good show for your students (of course you require professional skill to teach them before your class ) . I think you would be appreciated and rewarded .

GOD bless you and I believe you can achieve it

Add a comment