Site Feedback
Important Notice: Feb 1st from 05:00 to 08:00 (UTC) , italki will be down for scheduled maintenance. If you have scheduled sessions during this time, read our Announcement

About the relationship between different Slavic languages and their origin.

To my memory, in order by number of speakers, there is: Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Czech, Belarusan, Slovenian, Yugoslavian (?), and maybe a few others. Any information about these is welcome. How different are they from each other? Are any of them mutually intelligable to any extent? Which ones are written with a Cryllic character set and which with a Latin-derived set? What of the influence from other cultures? Was there a common proto-slavonic? Also: What is the relationship between different Slavic cultures like? How do they differ and how are they the same? (Note: I already have some idea about the answers to some of these questions, but I don't know everything. I am aware I can research elsewhere but I like to learn from many different sources.) Thanks!

Share:

Comments

Hey, that could lead to a few awkward moments, no? #fail.

We say 'Czech', not 'Czesh'. I assume we're talking about the same language.

German: 'reden' = to speak or say something in some way. English: 'to read' = you know what it means. I don't know if they are from the same root. There is a term for this: a false friend. There are also many between French and English.

Add a comment