Site Feedback

About the relationship between different Slavic languages and their origin.

To my memory, in order by number of speakers, there is: Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Czech, Belarusan, Slovenian, Yugoslavian (?), and maybe a few others. Any information about these is welcome. How different are they from each other? Are any of them mutually intelligable to any extent? Which ones are written with a Cryllic character set and which with a Latin-derived set? What of the influence from other cultures? Was there a common proto-slavonic? Also: What is the relationship between different Slavic cultures like? How do they differ and how are they the same? (Note: I already have some idea about the answers to some of these questions, but I don't know everything. I am aware I can research elsewhere but I like to learn from many different sources.) Thanks!

Share:

Comments

Hey, that could lead to a few awkward moments, no? #fail.

We say 'Czech', not 'Czesh'. I assume we're talking about the same language.

German: 'reden' = to speak or say something in some way. English: 'to read' = you know what it means. I don't know if they are from the same root. There is a term for this: a false friend. There are also many between French and English.

Add a comment