Site Feedback

do you think it is necessary to pratice chinese characters by hand writing?

I debating if I should spend a lot of time praticing hand writing (30% of my total chinese studying). Is it worth it? what about finding a job? will it even be important?

Share:

Comments

Where does 30% comes from?
Did you read it somewhere?

Practicing in writing is important to find the balance hidden in each character and in each set of characters. Who knows... you could also find a personal balance.

If I can suggest you: don't study chinese just to find a job.

It's a not so simple language.

Try to find the beauty in each feature: calligraphy; reading; writing; sounds; images and history that speaks in each character (some of them bring a millenary history).
Probably you will learn it easily and faster!

Buon cammino!

I think this is a legitimate and interesting question. I think it depends upon your overall goal. At a minimum, you need to be able to fill out a form, so being able to write your name is important.

At the next level, is understanding the 部首 or radicals. I think it is necessary at some point to break down words and think of them as an assemblage of radicals. If you practice this and can easily recognize the difference between words such as 绿 and 缘, then you would have accomplished this aspect.

Pinyin will only get you so far, but enough for one to two years of study. You might wish to see how much time you wish to invest before going the next step beyond that.

You musy learn words (pronountiation and writting at the same time).. after it will be easir for you to remember then. And of course, in these times, writting is so important as speaking in every language.. specially if you want to work.

Suggestion try to find the interesting thing to chinese, learning a language jsut for job, it's not the best way.. specially with difficult languages like chinese.

I've been studying Japanese for 10 years and Chinese for about 6 months now.

First off, I would say it's definetly very important to know how to handwrite characters. Understanding how they are written helps not only to remember them but also to understand how they are related to other characters. I saying that though the thing I have learnt is that learning characters isn't as important as learning words. In other words, practice words which have the same character. For example:

今天

今年

These two words both have 今 in them, meaning "now". By writing out a lot of words with 今 in them, not only will you understand all these new words ut you'll most definently understand the meaning of 今.

Thank you all for your reply. I probably left out some important details. I have been studying chinese for over a Year, and I probably know how to hand write between 1000-2000 characters, but I spend most of my time praticing writing when learning chinese, and even then, it is sooo easy for me to forget how to write it if I take like a couple of weeks off. I probably spend 30percent of my time writing, 20 percent reading, 30 percent listening, and 20 percent speaking, but this writing is ripping me apart... especially since it is Traditional characters taht I am learning.

for chinese people,handwriting is very important.most people think good handwriting show you have a good education.

Add a comment