Site Feedback

Is living together before marriage a good idea, why or why not?

I want to your opinion,because It's my report. Thanks you so much.

Share:

Comments

any man will wants it , but it's not a good idea for a girl.

the marriage save your right

I believe that is a good idea to live together before marriage because you can meet your partner with all her or his hangoup

NO.. a man and a woman must not live together outside of marriage.  it is not a good idea.in a catholic country just like Philippines it is condemed. it will cause lots of problems for the couples and for both families.they have to set up legal and legitimate processes of getting a marriage license.and be blessed by a priest and ask parental consent even if they are already of age. it is to respect  both parties and families.

Well,It's really a good idea but It's also a complicated one for both of them to live together because they will come to face many problems by neighbors as well as by their relatives.Mainly it depends on their cultures.

Of course, otherwise how are you going to know you're marrying the right person? What if you find out they're slobs only after getting married?

Biblically and culturally based it is really wrong no matter what will be the reasons it will not justify the means even many people here in Philippines are doing that and end up not marrying almost forever because they have been living together in many years. Who knows what is really right or wrong? only you. If you want to do it before marriage who can stop you? Do what you want we live in a free country.. Well if there is a law in your country that prohibit you to do that ahw sorry for that.. However if you want to live together legally and blessed by God through church live together only after marriage.

Living together it's really good way to meet each other. To my mind it is easy way to get to know the behaviors your partner. Of course it depends on religion, tradition and culture but if you want to be happy and meet your love you should get to know her at first.

Religious reasons aside, it's a terrible idea. Studies have shown that there is a much higher rate of divorce among couples that cohabit prior to marriage than with those who wait until marriage to live together. 

In the U.S., more than 50% of couples who cohabitate before marriage are broken up within five years, according to a 2009 report by Andrew Cherlin (cited here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/terry-gaspard-msw-licsw/should-i-move-in-with-my-_b_3692848.html). Many other reports have shown that cohabitation prior to marriage doesn't make for more stable marriages -- it makes them less stable.  

Here's a quote from a New York Times artilce about cohabitation: "In a nationwide survey conducted in 2001 by the National Marriage Project, then at Rutgers and now at the University of Virginia...About two-thirds said they believed that moving in together before marriage was a good way to avoid divorce."

"But that belief is contradicted by experience. Couples who cohabit before marriage (and especially before an engagement or an otherwise clear commitment) tend to be less satisfied with their marriages — and more likely to divorce — than couples who do not." http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/opinion/sunday/the-downside-of-cohabiting-before-marriage.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It's perfectly POSSIBLE to cohabit in order to figure out if you get along well enough before making the commitment to marriage, but often, there are usually other factors at play. 

Sure, there are lots of upsides -- cheaper rent, easier to spend time together, shared responsibilities -- but the downside that it increases the liklihood of eventual divorce outweighs all of them if you ask me. Granted, there are plenty of couples for whom everything works out fine, but I wasn't willing to risk that with my wife. 

Add a comment