Site Feedback

Can adults imitate kids when learning languages?

Saying that kids can learn languages faster than adults is commonplace. Of course I agree with that point of view. But it is also true that kids have a very limited vocabulary and use just one style of adressing people. Do you think that adults could learn faster if they do the same?

Share:

Comments

Hmm.. Can be. But in my opinion, the biggest influence of learning language is enviroment. If im not mistaken, there is a research says that children have strongest memory than adults. So, they are easy to remember anything since they still don't have many problems to think about. Besides, they have a limit knowledge so they feel interest when they get new knowledges (language, etc). They are very welcome and excited in learning. Excitement is the first step if we want to learn anything.

No,they can't since they have already applied the thinking pattern of native language, they could Learm another way round though, by using logic and memory.

yes   .... you will learn a lot from kids...kids absorbs a lot. they are effective communicators

especially if this kid is a wide/ broad reader you will learn a lot. kids are effective communicators.

they have something that adults dont know...and vice versa. they can teach as long as you trust

kids intuition.

What I meant in the question, is the following: Do you think that a method of teaching that put less emphasis in vocabulary and style, which is precisely what kids do, could be more successful than the usual approach, that is so centered around developing a big vocabulary before having the big picture about grammar?:)

It's not so much learning like a kid does starting from a certain method or another method.  What is more important is learning how to have the qualities that a kid has when he learns.  The biggest quality that children have is they have no resistance to what is being taught.  They accept anything you tell them.  They don't say "well we don't say that in English".  They don't say "why would the word go in this order".  Children accept everything as it is without resisting anything they are hearing.  Which is basically the best way to learn something new.

Believe me , you can never be a baby , so it is impossible to imitate babies without any modification . For a baby , he requires at least 5-6 years to construct his thinking and language . But yet, in a good environment for an adult , you just take 2-3 years to master your lanuage in 4 fields . You do not have to construct your thinking which is much harder for most human beings . The critical bottleneck to learn a language is not merely vocabulary learning in my opinion. In other words , memorization is not everything to learn a language . you cannot expect to achive your english just by memorization  . To sophisticate your sentence and you intention to express is far difficult to master . Integration of what you learned into useful sentences is far more important .

There are certain aspects of how a child learns that we can apply to learning language but, not the exact same way as children unfortunately. I personally find doing a lot of input (reading and listening) first, then later doing output (speaking and writing) tends to work best for me.  It's a good a idea to try out various methods until you find (or create for that matter) one that works best for you. 

I do not know if you have the similar experience in installing more than 1 operation system into a comupter. An empty computer without any OS is easier to load a new system . All you have to do is formatting the hard disk and put the CD rom into self running module. Over approximately 60 minutes, the PC would be loaded with a fresh OS .  however, it takes you more efforts to install another operation system only if you computer has owned some OS originally . To learn a second language is similar to install another OS under a well running OS in the system .

Too much input without output will get me tense . I prefer to keep balance between input and output during my learning process.

Add a comment