How do I know when to use "est" and "et" in French?
"est" is just like "is" in English,and "et" is similar to "and"
"et" means "and". It's a word to link two or more things;
"est" is the third person of the verb ETRE (to be) :
- Mon ami EST grand ET fort : My friend IS tall AND strong.
- Il EST tard : it'S late
- j'aime la glace au café ET au chocolat : I like coffee AND chocolate ice creams.
for the ones who want to practise english here is my skype account:
est : conjugaison du verbe etre au présent avec le pronon IL
et : pour lier les phrase
Note that the "t" in the verb "est" is pronounced in liasons, but the "t" in the conjunction "et" is always silent. (Strangely, the reverse is true in Italian.)
Example: Lui il est un ami ("He is a friend -- the "t" is pronounced).
Lui et un ami (He and a friend -- the "t" is silent).
"est" 3rd person singular, present tense of être
"et" the conjunction (English "and").
- Why do you want to learn a foreign language?
- I heard a word pronunce as [pə'sidʒs], I wanna know how to spell the word,and what's the meaning?
- TOEFL AND PTE TEST
- Are you required to be able to speak more than one language to teach on Italki?
- Do you know good Japanese films or TV shows ?
- how I do to study here ?
- 中文 - 才 - direction
- "where life will take us"
- Galicia, España
- Porto, Portugal