Site Feedback

What is your most and least favorite Arabic dialect/s?

This is a very subjective question, but I wanna get some opinions as to which Arabic dialect/s is/are the most pleasant sounding one/s and which the most ear-screeching?

Share:

• Posted by Ali Sep 11, 2013  
  • 24 comments

Comments

none of them.:P the best one is fos7a for me :D but anyway about your question i like egyptian dialect i think..

I would have to concur with fus7a being the best, since it is more rhythmic than any colloquial dialect.

hehe yeah you're actually right. Non dialect is beautiful than the standard one, because in Fusha, you respect the sounds, and you feel the words as well. It's too romatic, and relaxing rythm, make you feel happy. Also, remember that in Standard Arabic, there are no insult words, there are proverbs and metaphors to insult. In the least, arabs fight each others by Arabic, I meant who will say a beautiful poem or saying something wonderful. In dialects, there are a lot bad words on it. In fact, I like Fusha than any dialect. I think many arabs have the same opinion. Take this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDKsZVj_nr8&list=ULfDKsZVj_nr8

You're asking about dialects, but everyone say standard Arabic...
Well, I'd like to help! I like Egyptian and Lebanese dialects.

I am head over heels in love with rural (fallahi) dialects in Palestine, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan. I wish people appreciated their beauty a wee bit more. Plus their dialectal variations are quite interesting. It's rather doctrinal how they are perceived as a characteristic of the lower classes.

thnx for ur input everyone, Heba thnx for ur input as well, and i wanted to ask u, wud u say jordanian and palestinian dialects are closer to eachother and syrian and lebanese are closer to one another? PS: (Im just guessing here)

Also personally in general i like the sound of kasra instead of fatha for words that end with taa' marbuta. So for example saying qahwe (Coffee) sounds sweeter to my ears than saying qahwa

You're welcome. I honestly don't know that much except about Palestinian dialects, but yes, I would say Palestinian and Jordanian are closer to each other. Lebanese sounds a bit different to my Arabic ear, even though it is closest to the Syrian dialect. I guess it's because of the influence of European languages on the Lebanese dialect; especially since it underwent French colonization (but so did Syria).

The Palestinian accents closest to Lebanese/Syrian are Nabulsi and some variaties of Maqdesi.

In Palestine, some say /gahwa/ or /gahweh/ (urban/madani + rural/fallahi dialects), /kahwa/ (rural), /kahweh/ (rural), and /ahweh/ (urban).

Also, the pronunciation of Qaf differs depending on the region. In urban dialects, it becomes a glottal stop (as in ahweh), and in rural dialects, it becomes /kaf/ as in kahweh, or it becomes /g/ is some regions in the south. It is also pronounced /ch/ by some bedouins, so they say "cheef halich?" instead of "keef halik?" for how are you? I believe that bedouins in Jordan and Syria are the same.

Arabic differs from region to another.

i'm tunisian,i would like to tell you that the arabic of north africa (al maghreb al 3arabi) is harsh language but the tunisian and lybian is sweeter then the other countries algeria and marocco), it's mix between arabic and berbere language.

the arabic from gulf countries is closet to al fus7a.

and personnaly the char9i (lebanon, syria, jordan, palestine) is the arabic dialect most sweeter to ears.

specially lebanese dialect.

(do not hesitate to correct my English :)

Thank you Lilly:) may I ask you what Arabic letter the number "9" represents?

the syrian , palastenian and lebanon ones are the sweetest :)

Add a comment