Site Feedback

How did you become fluent?

I have been working towards my second language for years, but never as much as I have these last 4 months. I always admire those who become fluent in another language because it takes such an effort and commitment. 

I would like to hear about how you became fluent in your new language. When did you gain most of your progress? What would you recommend to learners that are still trying to put the pieces together? Do you have any advice or tips? Or do you simply have any cool stories from your learning experience?

For example: Recently, I have bought a little notebook that I keep in my back pocket and whenever I think of something that I dont know how to say, I write it down and research it later.

Share:

Comments

I have been studying English for more than 10 years. But my English is still in a lower lever. Recently  I progress a little. My method is that I use English as much as I can. I try my best to communicate with others.:) 

It is hard to achieve language proficiency without taking intensive efforts . I believe "FOCUS" is the eternal solution to your question  . I have been learning English for years , however, I can feel my English is apparently progressed under intensive practice over last few months . FOCUS is my recipe as far as my experience can go .

For me, I guess, listening to foreign songs always works well.

Right now there's a software that can be attached to music player in your PC/laptop and will show the lyrics, so you can sing along.

You can also translate the lyrics to your language to get better understanding of the meaning.

Cheers!

-lala-

Listening to songs is a good suggesation.Watch english movies .whenever get chance please speak in English.All the best.

Hi Sean, try to get the same book or magazine or article, one in English and the other which is translated in the language you want to learn and compare the differences. Try reading aloud and translating any words you don't understand. Carefully observe sentence structure and how the other language explains the same sentence. There are definite differences and practice the language with someone. You will notice what words are lacking in your vocabulary and look them up in a dictionary or ask a person who knows. Listen to talks, it all takes time. You will notice at first, you will understand more than you can speak, this is normal.

I've been learning English since my high school so far, After graduation from the university, I used to talk to native english speakers from all over the world. and they always give me good impression about my spoken English - Very motivating XD - , I think the main reason of being fluent in English is watching English movies as I'm addicted to these movies and series. Also I like the English songs. also talking to native speakers gives you the self-confidence to talk in this language.

All of these are great suggestions, I have definitely tried the song listening route, however I noticed that (Especially in American English) that artists will make 'short cuts' which compromise the stucture of the sentence in order for the words to sound good. 

Movies and TV shows seem to be the best way to truly learn how to speak, I just haven't seen a big variety of good Spanish TV shows or movies.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! :D

Better forget about songs, it's not the way at all. As you said, songs have a lot "short cuts" not only in English. Many times they don't have any sense, they are just easy to sing. 

Movies and serial it's a good choice. And if you want improve speaking skills of course you have to talk with somebody, at least try. I know it can be funny, but it help open for new things. And it's fun. 

And it's very good idea with this notebook. I do the same, it's help a lot. And you have to be systematic. I always repeat everything what I learn. For example, next day, next week, next two week and maybe month later. If I have problem with something I try to focus on this more, and repeat this a few times more. 

Jaro,

I agree with your systematic approach too, that is how I was able to retain as much vocabulary as I do now, though the grammar structuring will always be a little trickier to remember. Thanks for the advice

I watch TV shows, films or TED talks for example and when I hear new words I keep attention to how they are  used in the context and then I write them. Afterwards, I look it up in a dictionary and I write again their meaning! I think that, this is a really helpful method to memorize new words in a short time. Now I have my "words journal" in both Spanish and English, so when I forget some words I just open it and everythings come again to my mind!

Add a comment