Site Feedback

Pronouncing "s"

Why we pronounce "s" for [pas encore] but we do not pronounce "s" for [pas anglais] while both of the words start with vowel sound?

[pas anglais= not english, e.g. She speaks french,not english= Elle parle francais,pas anglais]

Share:

Comments

I noticed that when French speakers are talking quickly, they usually carry the last consonant of a word to the beginning of the next word if the next word starts with a vowel. It just allows them to speak more fluidly so the sentence doesn't have a pause. Usually the last letter of a word in french is silent anyway! It's really confusing!

I think that this is just the way it is... We only mix the last consonat with the first vowel if it is an "e".

Like Peut Être.

I have no idea why :S You pronounce it in some cases, like in the sentence: "ils ne sont pas Anglais", I would say "pazanglais", but in your sentence, you're right, it just wouldn't sound natural. And I have no clue as to why D:

Francisco: it's not just with the letter e: états-unis (étazuni), pas assez (pazassé), sans histoire (sanzistoire)...all vowels + in certain cases the vowel that follows an "h". But not always.

Yuo're right '-'

While right the comment I tried to tememember examples with other vowel and I just couldn't... when we try to find the words they jsut run away. LOL

Thank you all for your comments. I asked this from my french friend today and she also had no idea about it why!!!

I also have that doubt!! It's really confusing... I just pronounce it all together, even though I know sometimes I shouldn't, but I don't know exactly when. I thought I was the only one asking myself that, lol

You could pronounce it. It wouldn't be wrong, but it would sound weird, as if you were reciting a line in a play.

In French (as you probably know already), there are required, optional and forbidden liaisons. As a rule of thumb, it's better to drop the optional liaisons in spoken speech.

There is a well-documented trend in French away from making optional liaisons (and occaisionally even "obligatory" ones) in casual speech, but this varies from speaker to speaker and according to circumstance.

Add a comment