Why we pronounce "s" for [pas encore] but we do not pronounce "s" for [pas anglais] while both of the words start with vowel sound?
[pas anglais= not english, e.g. She speaks french,not english= Elle parle francais,pas anglais]
I noticed that when French speakers are talking quickly, they usually carry the last consonant of a word to the beginning of the next word if the next word starts with a vowel. It just allows them to speak more fluidly so the sentence doesn't have a pause. Usually the last letter of a word in french is silent anyway! It's really confusing!
I think that this is just the way it is... We only mix the last consonat with the first vowel if it is an "e".
Like Peut Être.
Yuo're right '-'
While right the comment I tried to tememember examples with other vowel and I just couldn't... when we try to find the words they jsut run away. LOL
Thank you all for your comments. I asked this from my french friend today and she also had no idea about it why!!!
I also have that doubt!! It's really confusing... I just pronounce it all together, even though I know sometimes I shouldn't, but I don't know exactly when. I thought I was the only one asking myself that, lol
You could pronounce it. It wouldn't be wrong, but it would sound weird, as if you were reciting a line in a play.
In French (as you probably know already), there are required, optional and forbidden liaisons. As a rule of thumb, it's better to drop the optional liaisons in spoken speech.
There is a well-documented trend in French away from making optional liaisons (and occaisionally even "obligatory" ones) in casual speech, but this varies from speaker to speaker and according to circumstance.
- what's the best way to learn german faster ?
- How do you set your keyboard to type accented letters
- why are my english notebooks/discussions being written in arabic division ?
- impara l'italiano ,cucinando! modi di dire legati al cibo :ACQUA IN BOCCA
- Impara l'italiano,cucinando!Modi di dire legati al ciboUSARE IL BASTONE E LA CAROTA / ACQUA IN BOCCA
- Orasul dorintei
- How do you consider someone is weird or normal?
- Tutoring in English
- Les Japonais se méprennent vite..