CESTMOI
Are the technical books you have to read in university in English or your native language?

I have studied computer science and about half the material I had to study was in English. I know the same goes for other technical studies here. The lessons and the exams are in Dutch of course, I did not attend some special international university. But in any higher technical school it is normal to read, say, half your material English. It's a good exercise, for the technical students whose main goal is not languages.

Is this the same in your country?

Sep 29, 2013 5:25 PM
Comments · 6

all our materials, books and exams are in english wherever schools and universities you are going to attend.. Sometimes I despise it because I think students will understand it better if it was written in our native language however if it will be change to our native language we might find it hard to adjust since we are used in using english terminology.

September 29, 2013

I didn't study exact sciences at university, but here in Brazil all subjects are taught in Portuguese. If you want to be good, though, you have to speak English. My brother studies engineering and even though he "doesn't have to", he's always studying with English books.

I used to work as a freelance web developer a couple of years ago and most of the material I used to teach myself PHP and object-oriented programming was in English.

September 29, 2013

Hello Steve, in Dutch almost all IT words are English. I have the opposite experience as you. Sometimes I am surprised that the Germans use so many German words for things we use the English loan word.

German, Dutch

Rechner, Computer

Hochladen, Upload

Festplatte, Harddisk

September 29, 2013

It's kind of ironic, so many words in English descended from Germania languages, but now that I am learning German and work in IT, I notice a lot of German IT words are just English technology words, although sometimes pronounced slightly different.

September 29, 2013

In Pakistan science and engineering subjects are taught in English from the 12th class onward. So we have to learn scientific terms in English.

September 29, 2013
Show more