Site Feedback

When travelling in your own country, have you ever experienced culture shock?

Share:

Comments

Yeah, even in my own city. Walk in certain parts of Paris* and you won't feel like you're in France (or even Western Europe, for that matter) at all.

*actually, don't, especially if you're a tourist/girl on her own

Sort of. When I visited Portland, OR I was so schocked at how many people were friendly for being a big city. That is not how most big cities that I have lived in or visited are like.

Absolutely! Especially here in America. I have been from coast to coast, and have experienced culture shock many times. I grew up in a small town, but my first visit to a big city was a shock. However, that is to be expected. However, after living in big cities like Los Angeles and St. Louis, I moved to Albuquerque and received the biggest culutre shock of my life. Although it is very large city, it is way too slowed paced and relaxed for my taste.

Also, depending on where in any city you go, you can experience culture shock as well. If I go into an area where they live a different sort of life than I am used to, it can be shocking. However, since I have begun studying Asian cultures, I have noticed that my 'culture shocks' are bcoming less and less. Even if I am not enter a culture based on Asian influence.

This was a good questions. I enjoyed answering it!

~Samantha :)

When traveling through this big country (5th of thw world) I have experienced culture shock many times. In some cities people are talktive, friendly and easygoing. You can learn a lot from their business, city, and even personal life. 

Sometimes I enjoy walking in a strange crowed road when shopaholics are hunting sales, on the other hand I feel exhausted after a day like this. 

My favorite ''culture shock'' is related to vegetarian world. 

Here we have a rich nature and we always can find new fruits, vegetables and delicious colored dishes. I always try new fruits and I´m completely open to vegan recipes

Absolutely. I went back to the Philippines for a visit about 5 years ago. The food is obviously different from what I'm used to growing up, apart from the special occasions where I get to encounter home cooked meals. My only saving grace was that I speak one of the main languages, Tagalog and Taglish (a combination of Tagalog and English.) In a country with an archipelago of 7,107 islands, 2 major dialects, with 155 sub-dialects divided between them, the vocabulary, grammar and accents do change every 50 km. The culture is interesting as it is not uniform in every sub-dialect. Albeit the primary language taught in schools is English, the further away you are from the Urban and Suburban districts, the higher your tendency is of coming up close and personal with the language, culture and custom native to that sub-dialect.

I grew up in California. I'd say that life is significantly more fast paced over there than here in Arizona. 

Differences exist everywhere, even in a small country like The Netherlands. I'm from the West and if I go to the North, I need subtitles to understand some people hahaha!

Moreover every city can have different traditions.

Add a comment