Site Feedback

Russia halts Lithuanian dairy imports. What do you think of it?

I've got to know that Russia has imposed an embargo against Lithuanian dairy products. The Russian consumer protection agency Rospotrebnadzor claimed that inspections of Lithuanian dairy imports had revealed "numerous violations" of quality and sanitary standards in products including cheese and yoghurt.

I'm sorry for Lithuania. I like its products very much and I'm sure of their high quality.

What do you think of the situation? What is the real cause of the embargo in your opinion?

Share:

Comments

Привет))

According to the news, Russian authorities imposed the ban after detecting unacceptable levels of tetracyline, an antibiotic commonly used in veterinary medicine, in those products. If that is true, it means that Russian authorities are doing their job well. High levels of antibiotic residues in animal products, such as milk and meat, may cause antibiotic resistance in humans. The authorities banned those products with the consumers best interest at heart. So, you shouldn't feel sorry for Lithuania. Lithuanian companies, if found guilty by evidence, must be held liable and must be advised to put public health as their utmost priority by strictly following *HACCP standards to ensure the quality and safety of their products.

(^_^)

*HACCP: Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points

Thank you for your comment. It's very interesting, especially from a medical point of view.

I think that is a means of political influence. But I wonder what is the reason..

From an article: "In Brussels, the European Commission said it had "complete confidence" in the quality of Lithuanian dairy products and called for discussions with the Russian side.

"The EU has the most stringent system in the world when it comes to food safety," Frederic Vincent, Commission spokesman for health and consumer policy, told a regular press briefing."

I think that it's normal for authorities to defend their country's farmer. I'm not sorry for Lithuania. It's Russian cause to buy or not to buy. I prefer to support Russian farmer. If Lihuanians think that Russian authorities are not right they can  refuse to buy Siberian gas.

Tetracyline is an antibiotic used in some illness produced by Klebsiella, Streptococcus, E. coli, clostridium and others. Julia is right because the antibiotics can cause resistance in humans and you cannot use it.

Some countries in Europe have banned some Chilean products because they have detected banned substances in their countries and they are very stricts with their laws.

I never buy anything made in the 3 Baltic countries and in Georgia because I do not want to support fascism and national discrimination with my money.

Hmmm... Whether the move to ban Lithuanian products was political in nature or not, Russian authorities have the right to choose what's best for your country. We can't do anything about it.

As consumers, we must remember that even though high food safety standards are strictly implemented in the EU, these so-called systems are not perfect :-( Thus, we should be vigilant in assessing the products that we buy (^_^)

Thank you very much for your comments!

Add a comment