Site Feedback

How long does it take to become fluent in a language?

I know the answer to this really depends on how much you study and how dedicated you are but I realized the other day that I have been studying Korean for over a year. 

With that I am highly dissapointed in myself. I try to study for at least ten minutes every other day and when I first started I was studying for 2 hours every day. (This lasted for about 4 months?) I have 4 books about learning Korean and countless apps on my phone as well as listening to audio lessons from TTMK and videos from multiple youtube channels. But at this point I still don't know sentence structure and I make big mistakes in every sentence I try to make. Also I can only talk about very limited topics and really its only a sentence or two. Is this normal? Shouldn't I be able to have conversations in Korean at this point, or at least be able to watch sometime without subtitles? When can I feel confident with my Korean skills?

Share:

Comments

in my opinions , takeing 1 years and praticing everyday is necessary

I focused on taking both the Japanese and Irish beginner tests, which give you a structured specific set of things to learn.  I think initially you need some sort of structure to be able to assimilate the basic structure, and from there you can start to branch out more.

I definitely recommend using multiple sources, like you already are, but maybe something a bit more formal to bound your learning would be helpful in getting you to the next level of fluency?

I love your GD shirt. <3

It can take a day or a week.

can you understand without subtitles when you listen the videos? i have also been learning english for two years. i spend at least 1 hour every day to study it. now i can just read and wright some simple words. the bigget poblem with me is how i can understand when it doesn't have any subtitles.

Alright. I think that everytime someone asks this question here I give the same answer: 3 months.

Why three? Well, I suggest you have a look at Benny Lewis' blog: fluentin3months.com. If you don't have the time to read it, just find a language partner and start speaking your target language. Even if you can only talk about limited topics. It doesn't matter, just start speaking.

I'm in the same boat and feel a little stuck in my learning when there is so much info out there. I feel I have should be much further along. Do you have a language partner? This is my next step. Best of luck to you. Let me know if I can help in sny way.

Ten minutes every other day isn't going to get you very far. I've been studying Korean for about two years now, and I still have a long way to go. Right now I can't really speak it, but I can write in it very slowly. I would, however, like to offer some tips that have helped me to improve my understanding.

1. Use flashcards to help build your vocabulary. The only way to expand the range of things you can talk about is to increase your vocabulary. It's extremely tedious, but I assure you, it does help.

2. Try to translate things into English. Translating songs and articles has helped me commit certain words and grammar patterns to memory. After you see them over and over, they become easy to remember.

3. Practice writing in Korean, even if it's just basic sentences. It helps improve your ability to think in the language.

4. Listen to the language regularly. You need to hear the language spoken frequently if you're ever going to understand it. This is another area where songs can help. If you can listen and read the lyrics along with it, it gives you a sense of how certain things are pronounced.

Like I said, those are some things that have helped me. If you ever want to talk about Korean stuff, or need help with anything, you can contact me here on Italki. I don't have all the answers, but I can share what I know. Good luck!

I think you must go to travel to that nation. EX : If you want to learn fluently Vietnam language you can come to vietnam and contact me :)

Add a comment