Site Feedback

Learning Schedule Question.

Hey This is the first time I have taken serious efforts to learning a new language. I really want to succeed, but Im not really sure how to. I have decided that I am going to dedicate 3 hours a day to learning Russian ( Im basically killing all of my other hobbies) But I know that just sitting for 3 hours straight wouldnt do me any good. So Im trying to divide it into 2-3 sessions.

My questions are what do you think will let me remember what I learned the most.

Should I learn new material in the begining of the day and do my review of older material at the end, or do my reviews in the morning and learn new towards the end of the day?

Right now I am doing new learning in the begiinning and reviews at night. It seems to be working but I thought that I should get some ideas from the community at large :) As it is, Russian isnt exactly sticking to me, especially the writen form. So anything that could help or make the transistions easier would be of great help.

спасибо

Share:

Comments

I think it doesn't matter if you learn new material in the begining of the day and do your review of older material at the end or vice versa. If you want to achieve the fastest possible results, I'd recommend you to use any spaced repetition software. It makes learners often review material they haven't learnt well, and rarely review material they have already taken in well. Spoken practise with a dedicated native speaker's would help improve your spoken Russian.

I think it doesn't matter whether you review at night or in the morning. They say that reviewing something (play lines, phrases, words, etc) just before going to bed helps you remember information, but I have found that review also works just as well in the morning. If I do reviews in the morning, then I can reconnect to "the Russian section" of my brain. You shall find with experience what works for you.

As for hobbies, as you get more and more advanced you can start doing your hobbies in Russian. I like history, programming, and math, therefore I read about history in Russian. There are plenty of sites dedicated to programming in Russian. And I have my own personal math textbook in Russian (in heaven). I second Ivan in terms of spoken practice – this is a great way to build relationships, remain motivated, help someone with their English, and at the same time get speaking practice in Russian.

I can understand that, but for the time being my Russian is soo limited that I dont really speak alot in it, and I think when i can start speaking sentences that it will be more usefull because then when I say something wrong like "моя брат" instead of the correct "мой брат" they can correct me. But for right now Im just trying to get some basic vocab before I try to handle talking

You don't have to be able to keep the conversation in Russian going in order to practise spoken Russian if your language partner speaks English.

For example, all my friends I regularly do language exchange with either read Russian texts or dialogs in order to hear the corrections with explanations about pronunciation and repeat correctly then, or ask me how to translate and pronounce certain phrases into Ukrainian or Russian.

Zackery, I could give you some additional ideas which are based on my own mistakes :)

First of all, all sites with flash cards that cover ready vocabulars (like memrise.com) just don't work right. One learns a lot of useless words that way and spends additional time in order to gain the vocabulary one really needs.

Second, Russian is a bit more complicated than English in terms of grammar, that's why one has to learn not only the basic form of a word, but also several other forms of it, and none of such sites shows all or at least main forms. You would need to use additional materials - why not from the first lesson then?

That's why I would rather recommend something like Anki (free offline program, it works on smartphones as well), in which one can create their own collections of words. It takes time to prepare a vocabulary, but it is a part of learning and would provide you with a collection of words which perfectly suits your purposes.

I would also recommend you to dispose your ears to the language (as much as possible) and to ask natives to check your pronounciation (as early as possible). You don't need to be able to speak Russian fluently to do it - there are a lot of Russians who speak English good enough to converse with them without great problems. Ivan is right :)

Good luck!

If you're learning just words it helps but the most significant difference between russian and english is grammar. For instance, the Russian language doesn't have the verb to be and when you use different verbs with a personal pronoun (think, make, listen ect.) you have to change ending of the verbs.
Think - думать
Я думаю - I think
Ты думаешь - (Informal) you think
Вы думаете - You think
Он\Она думает - He\She thinks
Они думают - They think
Мы думаем - We think

And now you can see if you know the verb "think", you should know how to use it. Then you need to llearn some nouns and adjectives, try to build correct sentences with it.
What I'd say that is crucial to starting to study a language is using a right way then learning it again. The last way is longer and less effective, when you just learn words and using them randomly.

In my opinion, I work better by reviewing at the start of the day. This doesn't always happen though with the software program I use. I just find that after studying three hours straight my brain is completely fried and am discouraged that the material actually stuck in my head. The next day though it all makes sense. I would be too worried about it though, If you are studying three hours every day chances are you are going to learn a good amount. Just remember that taking a day here and there to review everything you have learned thus far is important before continuing on. Also evaluate yourself: If you are having trouble with a certain something then review it in depth or ask someone online advice. That is what Italki is here for :)

Hi! My name is Julia! I learn English! Do not understand yet how to use this site and where to write, so I write here. Why do you teach Russian?

Пишите все свои тексты на русском языке. В первое время используйте онлайн переводчики в интренете. Тогда вы научитесь русскому языку!

The one way which will really help you it`s practice.. practice everywhere.. listening audiobooks, watching movies, talking to people who also learn the same language which you are interested in.. and even talking to yourself will be resultative after some time :P

Удачи :) 

Add a comment