Mandarin is understood. Many shopkeepers and sales people speak some broken Mandarin, because there are lots of mainland Chinese tourists.
As a tourist, I believe you can even just use English, depending on where you are.
Yes, two dialects (Mandarin and Cantonese) with the same writing system. It's the difference between 语 and 文. I think the only difference is that they use traditional characters more so than simplified characters. But it looks like you are learning the traditional characters, so you should be good with the writing system there.
- Can someone correct me these short leaflet?
- Some articles for those who study russian (in English)
- stress in English
- Hello, all the Mandarin Chinese learners!
- can anyone tell me the meaning of this song ?
- What is the biggest misconception people have about your country?
- can any body help me please
- i want the suggestion from all my italki fellow....???
- Anyone who know a project called Work and Travel?
- Si tienes la oportunidad de ir a vivir a otro pais, que estaras hacer alli?