Site Feedback

De vs other Prepositions

Hello,

I'm having trouble with the preposition "de." I have been told that "de" is the most commonly used word in French. And unlike in English, which uses many prepositions like "with, from, by, in, about" in French you primarily use "à" or "de."

Yet there are still many prepositions to choose from in French like "dans, sur, sous, entre, avec, par."

So when exactly do I use the other prepositions, besides "de" and "à" in French?

I've used this site for when to use "de": http://www.french-linguistics.co.uk/translation/keywords/de.html but now I am confused as to when to use all other prepositions. 

Share:

Comments

Hey Nat92d!

"De" usually means "from". For example, 'Je viens de Paris,' would mean I come from Paris. French, like English, has different words to describe "with, by, in, and about." Avec = with, by = par (depending on the context), in = dans, etc. "De" is very common in French however because there are many verbs that are followed by "de" and "à" when they come before another verb. For example, you would say "Commencer à faire quelque chose" which would mean "To start doing something" or "Essayer de travailler," which would mean "To try to work." In these situations you just need to memorize which verbs are followed by à, which are followed by de, and which aren't followed by any preposition (you will almost always use commencer à, essayer de, continuer à, décider de, etc. when it comes before an infinitive). In these cases however, "de" has nothing to do with the preposition "from", it just goes with the verb because it feels like it :P

I didn't check out the website you linked but about.com is a gold mine for French info-- check out this link to learn more about preopositions: http://french.about.com/library/prepositions/bl_prep_verbs.htm

Also, it's almost 3:00 AM here at the moment so I apologize if my above explanation makes no sense lol I'll check it in the morning!

Add a comment