Site Feedback

Chinese Medicine

What do you think of chinese medicine?

Share:

Comments

I know that Chinese medicine is practiced and coveted in Switzerland.

Mix of modernity and tradition :)

I have taken some short courses on Chinese Medicine before.  I found it rather difficult, especially the part on "yin" vs "yang".  I don't know how to distinguish a person who is lack of "yin" and a person who is lack of "yang".  However, I think Chinese Medicine is amazing.  It can cure many diseases that cannot be explained in "western medicine".

What does it cure? I've never heard that before.

I think like alternative medicine if it worked it would be just be called Medicine.

I also read that many animals are hunted because of it so I'm against those medicines especially as there is no scientific basis. 

Yes I read that tens of thousands of rhinos have been slaughtered for their horns for Traditional Chinese Medicine. It's horrific.  Also rhino horns are made of largely the same substance as human hair (keratin) so it's not only barbaric but stupid.

@Mimi & Matt. I feel terrible too when seeing someone slaughtering endangered species in the name of Traditional Chinese Medicine. In fact, Traditional Chinese Medicine mostly uses herbs as its materials. Traditional Chinese Medicine theories, like Qi xue,jing-luo,acupuncture point etc cannot be observed or understood by modern science. When we cannot fully understand something, it would be rude to judge it as only barbaric but stupid.

Western medicine is good at solving problems appears. It has a good efficiency. However, sometimes, its side-effect is severe. Traditional Chinese Medicine takes more time which makes it not suitable for patients in emergency station. Because it starts from the very beginning of the problem. It sees a human body as a little cosmos, things are connected,for example, eyes and liver. 

I like chinese medicine, especially it views body as a whole system instead of parts. It is undeniable that chinese medicine provides a different theory to keep people healthy. 

I agree with mariache that traditional Chinese medicine mostly uses herbs as the material.  However, some people take in products made from endangered animals.  This should not be regarded as traditional Chinese medicine.

Whether you like the traditional Chinese medicine or not may depend on your culture and/or diet.  A lot of Chinese will take Chinese medicine when they don't feel well or when they want to keep better health.  On the other hand, westeners may not believe in Chinese medicine since they have different culture.  Also, since they have different diets and habits, Chinese medicine may not be effective to them.

I was refering specifically to the rhino horn as barbaric but stupid.

However I'm not sure what you mean by acupuncture not being able to be observed by science. Simple get a group who take proper acupunture and a group with pretend acupunture and another group with a different remedy for example for back pain and see what the results are.

http://www.badscience.net/2007/09/acupuncture-and-back-pain-some-interesting-background-references/

In this case the pretend acupuncture did as well as the real acupuncture. Most cases I've seen show it working with the same results as a placebo. The placebo effect is very interesting.

@Mimi. I see.

It's the patients' problem for believing that they're cured.

I mean, anatomy and X-rays etc. could not help us actually see their existence.

I saw a commercial once for a medication (I don't remember its name off the top of my head). It did mention that among its adverse effect include paralysis and even death. The irony is that it states that if any of the two have occured, one should call the number on the screen. Who does that? Western healthcare practices have shifted its focus from finding the root cause of the malady to being a source of financial success. All medications have side effects. Why? Because both the active and inactive ingredients go through vital parts of the body via the bloodstream including but not limited to the brain, liver and kidneys. Potent antibiotics, if not handled well, could be detrimental to healthy kidneys. Side effects are likely to show among the elderly and the pre-adolescent demographics. The reasons behind it is that among the elderly the vital organs have already supported them enough through their lifespan that their efficiency (luminescence of blood vessels, smooth muscle threshold, calcifications) is no longer as quick when it comes to responding to any form of stress it encounters. Pre-adolescents down to the very young are also at risk since their body organs are still underdeveloped to handle any stress. Chemotherapeutic agents also pose a high amount of threat not only to the carcinogenic cells but also to the uncompromised ones.

Tea, for example, has ample amounts of natural phenols that help the immune system combat free radicals. Free radicals are the main culprits in the delayed apoptysis (appointed end of life for each cell) of old cells which eventually leads to the proliferation of mutated (cancerous) cells.

Add a comment