Site Feedback

Perfectionism...not good.

I seem to like writing essays on the internet...I never knew why I do this, but I guess I just like some of the things people on this website come out with. Regardless, that's not what I am talking about here.

I seem to be a bit of a perfectionist, with most of what I do set on being perfect as opposed to anything else. It had recently cleared itself up to me that this perfectionism is the real reason why I, and many others, don't do well at the things we set out to do; this is included, but not limited to, language learning. If anyone here isn't a perfectionist, I can give you a word that sums up the perfectionist's feeling towards learning a language.

Painful!

Because sometimes you're not quite as good as you want to be, even if you are, from a native's perspective, good enough. The only problem there is that in language learning, you have no idea when you have reached this level of "perfection" or if it even exists (I'm willing to bet no, but that's just me).

OK, in some areas, perfection does exist, but at the same time it is deifficult to get to even for those who have been speaking the language for a long time. I'm a native speaker of English, and if you want me to give you some reasons why I'm not perfect at English, I can write you up a list. But some areas stand out to me for different reasons. Those, of course, being...

Pronunciation

Pronunciation is weird, because the way you think you do it many be completely wrong, even if you do a lot of practice; in fact, if you practise the "completely wrong" pronunciation enough, it may stick with you in all of its complete wrongness...I hate perfectionism.

The other problem is you may have the pronunciation or tongue positions of sounds explained to you one way, where as native speakers seem to do it another way. Because of this, I have deemed ㄴ and ㄷ (ㅌ, ㄸ) the most confusing sounds in Korean. If anyone has some underlying advice on how they are pronounced, please feel free to share.

The other thing with pronunciation is that you can't get detailed instructions on every sound in a language, so you kind of have to guess and go with that guess.

Grammar

OK, with grammar it is helpful to be good at it, otherwise the speakers of the language may not know what you're saying. However grammar is also the thing that may taught one way, and done another (in most cases). That can be confusing too. However, I can only really testify for English here, with some of the most used incorrect grammar patterns being things like "me and him" as opposed to "he and I," or "I'm anxious to go" being used instead of "I'm looking forward to going" or something similar (even though that's not what "anxious" means).

And that's all I'll burden you with. Any one else have a similar problem with perfectionism, or knowing how to pronounce things? I've met a lot of Foreigners learning English, or who speak English, that don't care to much about their pronunciation or accent; they don't sound British/American/Canadian/Martian, but they are still understood by everyone and it all seems to go better for them because of the apparent lack of perfectionism...maybe I should try and adopt a similar attitude.

Anyway, your thoughts?

Share:

Comments

I feel your pain. For me, my perfectionism mostly causes me problems with starting different things. I know I won't be able to make is as good as I want it to be, and I really don't want to create something that I myself don't deem good enough. You can probably see how this might cause me problems in school. :P

Add a comment