Site Feedback

Mahabharat

Mahabharat is a great epic of Indian mythology.How many of you have heared about this or know something about this great saga.

Share:

Comments

Hello Anita:

I have read     the Bhagavad Gita  which is I think,  part of the Mahabharat. 

Is that correct?

Anyway, I like the Bhagavad Gita  very much.  

I've also read the Upanishads and enjoyed them.

What else can you tell us about  the Indian Writings?

Oce one friend from italki advised me to watch with english subtitles.And I saw maybe 10 series or more,than left,dont even know why.But I think I will continue watching.

Very beautiful women,amazing dresses,decorations.

You are very right Bruce,Gita is a part of Mahabharat.Your Indian reading is impressive.We have so many "Puranas" but I don't know wheather they are avilable in English or not.You can read Ravindranath Taigore.He was nobel prize winner.Kalidasa is famous sanskrit poet.

Tanya, Mahabharat is a very complicated story,difficult to follow but if you are enjoying ,keep watching :)

hello Anita:

I am familiar with the name  Rabindranath Tagore.  I have several editions of the Bhagavad Gita.

One of the other treasures in my library is a terrific book titled

"A Sourcebook in  Indian Philosophy"  edited by  Sarvepalli   Radhakrishnan and Charles A. Moore.

http://www.amazon.com/Sourcebook-Indian-Philosophy-Sarvepalli-Radhakrishnan/dp/0691019584/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382962867&sr=1-1&keywords=A+Sourcebook+in+Indian+Philosophy

The book is a series of collected writings in Indian Philosophy, and  the amazing  fact which emerges from the book, is that almost all of the  philosophies  which emerged in  Western Civilization in the past   2,000 years,   had already been   articulated and discussed   by   Indian  Philosophers  long before.  

The detailed terminology forms a spiritual science which is fascinating.

आनीटा-जी, is रामायणा a part of the महाभारत? Or are they two separate books?

I can't say I know much about the महाभारत other than it's about a war.

Thanks Bruce,I will try to read that book."Gitanjali" is famous poetry written by Ravindranath Tagore.

Jay, Ramayan and Mahabharat are two entirely diffrent books.Ramayan is the story about Lord Rama and his victory over Ravana and you are right that Mahabharat is about war between Kourav and Pandav but Mahabharat has much more then war.Its talk about basic human emotions.

Mahabharat is "Human Enclopedia" and Source of Knowledge. I mean not religious book but belong to entire Human race. 

Very true Gudkuti.

Add a comment