Hi!
Illegal and unlegal .. Is it the same meaning ?
Oct 31, 2013 5:20 AM
Comments · 3

Hello Elya. I have never heard of the word unlegal. I do not think it exists. We have things that are ILLEGAL...  that are against the law.... and we have the word UNLAWFUL. Unlawful can mean the same as illegal. But it is used differently. In conversations we often use the word illegal. But we seldom use the word unlawful... because it is a term lawyers and courts use. You would need to ask a lawyer about the difference! Courts make decisions about 'acts of violence' for example. Not all our actions might be considered illegal, especially if there is no particular law or rule to break! But a court can judge if the act was unlawful... in which case the police might then investigate. This is not a very good explanation... because I hardly ever use the word unlawful myself. I READ it in the newspapers... "Mr Smith's actions were judged unlawful..." But as I am not a lawyer I do not know EXACTLY what it means! I use legal/illegal   not  lawful/unlawful.

October 31, 2013

I think unlegal is not correct or at least not fully correct. Nonlegal would be more appropriate for comparision with illegal.

Some info about nonlegal

<em>http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nonlegal</em>

October 31, 2013

Legal means pertaining to the law, for example the legal profession is that of a barrister, attorney, or "lawyer," as we say in America, as well as paralegals, legal secretaries etc. Lawful means permitted by the law -- as in not illegal. In this context, criminal and unlawful are synonyms for illegal.

Please note, I'm not a "legal" professional, I'm a (lawful) language professional.

May 4, 2015