Site Feedback

When you start learning another language, what's the first thing to do first?

When you start learning another language, what's the first thing to do first? 

The first thing I do is learn about this country or about this language cultural.

The first thing I usually do is get some basic phrases. I move from countries to countries every 90 days and I always see to it that I have full knowledge of the language of my next destination. The Lonely Planet pocket book is really of big help!

When I start learning something I learn the easy parts first. So with language I will learn about easy new words and grammars, then easy tenses like present tense, past tense..

I think it depends on the language, but I start by learning basic phrases like "Hello, how are you" or "I want..." and in this way if their is difficult grammar (like German), I can start learning grammer along with new vocab. With that being said I think learning verbs are very important in communicating.

For me... I play a video game in that language. Seriously... I leraned English basically with video games. Tehn a little of French, but with this one I'm focusing on books. And German I already pleyd two video games.

Thank you so much, everyone! In my case, I remember some words, some phrases, and easy grammars. It's just like that. 

you can  listen and see movie with thier subtitles  , it help you to compare about listening words and seing words 

Yes, that's right, and I know that. Italian is also it.

I think so. It's hard to listen to them in a film.  

Listen. I listen to the target language for a while firstly, whether it be an entire week or month(s). I don't have any clue to any letter or word, nor do I have to. I just listen. Listen to the sound, the tone, the pauses, etc. That will be great if I get chances to listen to as many different people speaking that very language as possible when I know nothing yet, I just listen.

Then 50 short sentences or so which "interest" me so I won't forget that easily (e.g. "I like eating shit", "I am the shit actually", "I am so sexy", "She enjoys eating me daily", now I got four interesting sentences :D :D). Memorise them all by heart (with a help from any native speaker for my pronunciation, if possible). Whether I can write them down or not at this phase, doesn't matter.

Then the grammar.

The first thing that I learn is pronunciation. Then basic phrases, songs, grammar...

Add a comment