Site Feedback

English books

Hi ! I'm a native french speaker, and I learn english for 7 -9 years now , and I would like to read some english books in order to extend my vocabulary, I want to start with some popular easy books for the moment ..

Share:

Comments

Hi ! I'm a native French speaker, and I have been learning English for 7-9 years now, and I would like to read some English books in order to extend my vocabulary. I want to start with some popular easy books for the moment ..

I recommend anything in the Young Adult section.  You could read the Harry Potter series, or the Twilight series, for example.  But whatever you choose, make it something you are interested in.  You should enjoy your reading, as well as get the learning experience.  If you don't like it, it will make your progress slow.

If you would like to see a forecast of the future from the past, try reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It is an easy read.

Similarly, you could check out Fahrenheit 451 or The Martian Chronicles from Ray Bradbury both written in the 1950s but very true to their predictions of the future.

Thank you ! 

can you suggest some english books for me to broaden my knowledge?:)

It depends what kind of books you are interested in!  I know that a lot of my Spanish pupils read the Harry Potter books in English because they were familiar with the stories and the language is not too hard.  In general, more recent books will be easier than older ones because the language will be more up-to-date.  I like David Nicholls and Nick Hornby and I imagine they would be quite good for non-English speakers.  It is often useful to read a book which has a film version too so you can compare them - try to watch the movie in English as well though!

Anything you read will broaden your knowledge.  Reading teaches you about culture, language, relationships, history...  The most important thing is to choose something you are interested in, then you can read it  easily and quickly. 

A bit cliche but what about 'Catcher in the Rye'? It's a classic and I believe the language is simple enough.

I guess though like others have said go for what you enjoy. Personally I can't stand Harry Potter so that wouldn't interest me, but if that's your thing go for it.

Add a comment