joggingMulberry
The Chinese grammar

Today I read a post asking for suggestions of Chinese grammar. This is really an interesting question. Well, as a matter of fact, basically there are two grammar systems in Chinese. One is for ancient Chinese, which I suppose most people are not interested in (neither do I). The other one is imported from Japan, who learned from Western countries, in thebeginning of twenty's century. We call this stage 'new cultural movement' which is the starting point of the Chinese used today, the contemporary Chinese as is generally referred to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Culture_Movement

With this in mind, for those English speakers who want to learn Chinese, they really don't have to worry too much about their grammar, because it is originated from English and is exactly the same as English. You pick the right word, either a noun or a pronoun, used as the subject, to start a sentece; then choose a verb, which is much difficult because we have got so many of them (and this is the same case in English). Finally, you use another noun as the object to receive the consequence of the verb, or use a adjective to describe the subject. Sounds familiar , right?

Here is some examples for your reference:

Simple version:

我想学习英文

我的英文写作不好

谁能帮帮我,帮我提高一下写作水平?? WHO CAN HELP ME WITH MY WRITING ABILITY? Please send me a message, I would be rather grateful.

advanced version:

我今天下午吃的饺子 == 今天下午我吃的饺子

他这个人非常好,总是乐于助人 (a bit difficult. literally: He, the person, is very nice, always willing to help)

Nov 9, 2013 10:55 AM
Comments · 2

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your comments. But if you look at the 'BaiHua' before 'new cultural movement' in 1919, it's very different frome the one we are using today. Genearally speaking, It think the grammar we are usign today is the same as English. I can't find an exception, can you?

Mayby I should add another Grammar System to Chinese grammar history, say, 'Mandarian before 1919'. This will make this article more acurate. 

November 10, 2013

I think you are wrong about this... Way too wrong. 'The other one is imported from Japan, who learned from Western countries, in the beginning of twenty's century. ...because it is originated from English and is exactly the same as English. ' 白话文早就有了,古代的普通老百姓也不会用文言文沟通。

November 9, 2013