Megan
Is There Any Reason to Learn Italian?

So, I got to go to Italy for two weeks about a month ago. One of the things I was really excited about was the chance to practice Italian. I'd studied really hard for the trip, and, while not fluent by any means, was at "conversational Italian" level.

And...used absolutely none of it. Everywhere we went, we were greeted in English, and my attempts at Italian were replied to in (almost perfect) English. All written communication (including menus) were available and provided in English. Even at the opera, I asked our boxmates in Italian if they could see, since my husband and I had the front seats, and was replied to, in English, that we were fine.

We had a fantastic time, of course, but I felt that all my time and effort to learn Italian was absolutely wasted. So I ask: Is there any point in learning Italian if I never have an opportunity to use it, even in Italy?

Nov 10, 2013 1:44 PM
Comments · 15

I live in Venice and I think that nowdays  in every touristic locations ( big cities like Rome, Florence, ecc.) we HAVE TO speak english if we want to get a job. unfortunately for you, we have to be prepared! ;) 

my suggestion is to go in small villages that aren't visited by many tourists, like countysides or little towns! often people here is more frendly and peaceful. mabe you will not see the roman Forum or the Sistine Chapel, but if your main aim is to improve your italian with native speakers, the only solution is speak with people that don't know anything about english! 

we have also many strange accents in every part of Itlay ( it changes a lot from north to south). in the area of Tuscany people speaks the best italian, beacuse it's the area where the italian language was developed! 

November 10, 2013

The best reason to learn a language is because you LOVE it! "I need it for work" is a strong motivation, of course, but love is what keeps us going! And it is easy to fall in love with Italian, because speaking it just sounds like fun!

November 12, 2013

Personally, there were a few reasons I started learning Italian. The first simply being the fact I think the lanuage is beautiful. Secondly, I've always wanted to be fluent in another language. Thirdly, my family heritage is Italian and I feel it brings me closer to my roots. Finally, I hope to travel to Italy one day.

I know Italian isn't the most common language, especially where I live, but suprisngly to me since I started studying Italian I've encountered a handful of Italian speakers in my day to day business. It's so great to see their faces light up when I ask, "Parla italiano? right before they start speaking a mile a minute and I have no idea what they are saying. Haha. But I feel like we have an instant connection. It's these experiences that have inspired me even more to study hard and really learn the language.

November 12, 2013

When you were in trouble where only Italian could save you then it is very important to learn Italian and any other foreign languages. Never think that learning any language will waste your time, it can be useful someday when you really need it.

November 12, 2013

Hi Megan,

I agree with you. The media and the government tell us that our english level is very low, and being bilingual is a MUST, but actually i think that our english level is not so bad and you can visit Rome and the most important cities without a word of italian.

I would add that I have long marvelled at how <em>many</em> English loanwords there are in the modern Italian.

You can take a look at the newspaper to uderstand what i mean.....

But don't worry, Next time you are going to Italy, tell "Please, parlatemi in italiano, lo sto studiando...". The people will smile at you,  and they will think "qualcuno che impara la nostra bellissima lingua !! " and you will have a good conversation in italian.

More reasons to lear italian:

- Enjoy italian music, opera, literature.

- Once you will start talking in italian, in Italy, you will listen the real flowery language we use day by day. 

November 10, 2013
Show more