Yaga
Mongrel English

Hello everyone!

(This question is addressed particularly to native English speakers, but of course every single opinion is appreciated :) )

How do you feel about the term 'mongrel English'? Do you find it neutral or rather pejorative (maybe even offensive)?

Thanks and regards,

J.

Nov 13, 2013 8:33 PM
Comments · 19

I know you posted this a few months ago, but I saw it :-) 

Mongrel is a term commonly used for a dog that has no definable breed. It can be used as an offensive term for people as well. It's not something I would use to refer to a person, unless you don't like the person very much!

April 4, 2014

Like others, I'd never heard the phrase "mongrel English" before.

I don't think of English as being a "mongrel," I think of it as having "hybrid vigor!"

Seriously, one of the things I love about English is that it has no official standards body, no National Academy, nobody trying to guard its "purity" or prevent invasions of foreign words. I love that we can call something "great" or "magnificent," a "lie" or a "prevarication," "dog" or "canine." I love our ailerons and fuselages, our ketchups, our lariats and buckaroos, our crullers and buckwheat and buoys, gherkins, hamburgers and rucksacks and kindergartens, clans and gumption, etc.

April 12, 2015

Since mongrel English is not a phrase or label used in every day speech but only has meaning within the context of an written article, the meaning and whether it is perjorative or not must be taken from the what is said in the article. If the writer was using the word mongrel to mean only that which comes from many sources, then no one would take offense at it. It's kind of amusing. Articles are meant to be entertaining and it does get the idea across well. If it began to be used in academia or common usage outside of the one article or if a foreigner used it, then perhaps people would take offense. 

April 10, 2015

привет могу помочь с изучение русского как вас найти в скайпе ?

May 30, 2015

That's right Paul. I just said what you said first but a little differently. :D 

April 10, 2015
Show more