Site Feedback

Relations gradation

It's interesting to know how you define in your languages relations. For example, if you want to mention your beloved, in English you can say "girlfriend"/"boyfriend", but it doesn't mean actually the "friend". So how to call girl that is just friend? Because "girlfriend" is already taken.

In russian there's a trick, we call it "my girl", "my boy" if we mean something more than friends, and "girlfriend/boyfriend" if we talk about closer relation. But I see that nowdays more people call their beloved "girlfriend".

I was always wondering how in Spanish "novia" means "girlfriend" and "bride", and if you want to say "she is my girlfriend, but not the bride" - "es mi novia, pero no es mi novia"? How do you avoid confusion here?

Are there any other words used for relations gradation?

Share:

Comments

We call them Female friends or male friends. If its your buddy and he/she is the same sex as you just say "friend". Girls can get away with saying "my girlfriend" when talking about a friend, but a guy cannot say "my boyfriend" unless he is gay. Yeah, its confusing.

In Spanish novia is girlfriend, fiance for female is " mi prometida" literally means "my promised".But like you said, bride in Spanish is novia as well because she doesn't become "esposa / wife" until after the wedding. The day of her wedding is like her last day being called " novia / girlfriend" After the wedding she will be called by her husband "mi esposa / my wife" or "mi mujer / my woman". Another word is " cónyuge" means spouse, it can be used for both male and female. 

A funny fact about the word "esposa / wife" is that it also means handcuffs in Spanish. 

Thank you for replies!

Natali, it's really interesting that "esposas" is handcuffs :))

In Hindi there is no word for "boy friend' or "girl friend".

@Anita, and how do you call them?

Add a comment