Site Feedback

What is the strangest questions or topic you've ever had in an IELTs test?

Hi,

I'm an IELTs teacher working on a little side project. This is a question for all students who have already attempted the test (and other IELTs teachers who have heard something strange from their students who have taken the tes?)

It could be in the speaking, or perhaps one of the readings or listening or writings?

Cheers

Justine

Share:

Comments

Questions I could not answer were "What is the name of the flower on your passport?", "Is it the national flower?" and "Why is the flower on the passport?".  I am not sure if they are concidered as  strange questions, but before the test, I had not imagined it would be asked.  These were the first questions soon after I showed my passport to the examiner, so I got banic.  So, I have still remembered those questions though I forgot the rest of them now.  I did not know the right answer, so my explanation was as clear as mud.  But, somehow the examiner scored me generously.

Today is my first time to take the IELTs test in speaking . I will tell you what kind of topic I  meet later .

Kara I hope you managed to slip in the 'clear as mud' idiom, and ... can you distinguish the 'b' and 'p' sounds?  You have perhaps heard 'panic' as 'banic'? A soft c as in concentrate (ha, it has both soft and hard 'c') would make 'concider' and 'consider' also sound the same, except that the 'i' sound might modify too.

The examiner just ask me something about language learning . There is no bizzare question to my knowledge .

Laogui, unfortunately the expression of "clear as mud" is quite new to me.  So, I do not think I could manage to put it in back then...  The generous examiner gave me "7", so I have nothing to whinge(*^^*) 

I can distinguish "p" and "b" sounds without any problem, what happened above, is a typo(^_^;)  Instead of that, I have huge problems with "b" and "v", "r" and "l", "a" and "i" etc.  English vowels are very difficult for me because there are only 5 vowels in Japanese...

Add a comment