[Deleted]
Learning/Practising/Teaching Chinese in Skype Groups

<em>I hate to make another discussion but the other one isn't showing up with the other discussions.</em>

We've got some groups on Skype for Chinese. There are currently 4:

Pre-A1 - For people interested in starting to learn Chinese or know a little bit and want to start talking to Chinese people. They don't need to worry about reading Chinese characters; they can use pinyin instead. Chatting is almost entirely in English.

A1 - For people who have studied a bit and can write some simple sentences. Some may be able to read Chinese characters; some may need to use pinyin still. Suitable for people aiming for HSK1 or who have just passed it. Chatting is mostly in English but they can learn/practise some new words or sentences.

B1 - For people who can chat about some simple topics in Chinese but still need to use English in places and for difficult topics. Approximately HSK3. Chinese and English 50/50.

C2 - For people who can communicate almost fluent.

And I can make the groups in between (A2, B2, C1) if necessary in the future. Some people use them all and help others, some just use one or two. Talk to me if you are interested in joining us.

The benefits of this idea:

- Most members are Chinese so you can learn from many native speakers. Many are eager to help teach others.

- Some people (like me) who are also learning Chinese use the lower groups to help others and can help from personal experience.

- Multiple groups means there's a place for everyone without it being too difficult or too easy.

- Multiple groups also ensures the groups are not too busy but with people joining multiple groups there's still many people to chat with.

- A lot of English is used in the lower groups, so is good practice for the Chinese speakers and anyone else looking to practise their English.

- When teaching new things, it can be done from both sides. People learning it in Chinese and Chinese people learning it in English.

The only rule is: Use Chinese suitable for the group.

If you think this is a good idea, please comment and thumbs up so more people see and tell your friends. :)

Nov 18, 2013 8:37 PM
Comments · 132

Here's a brief lesson for the Pre-A1 group.

Vocabulary:

我 (wo3) I; me
你 (ni3) you [singular]
他 (ta1) he; him
她 (ta1) her; she
喜欢 (xi3 huan) to like

Then I ask people to try to make sentences using the words provided (typing the pinyin and number is enough - which are in the brackets). Try yourself and then highlight the black bar to see the answer.

How to say: "You like me."

你喜欢我。
ni3 xi3 huan wo3.

How to say: "He likes her."

他喜欢她。
ta1 xi3 huan ta1.

From this, you can notice three things:

1) Pronouns are the same as subjects and objects.
2) Verbs don't change depending on the subject.
3) The pronunciation of "he" and "she" is the same.

December 6, 2013

Matt is a amazing Chinese teacher, especially for beginner.

December 5, 2013

An update on the group sizes:

Pre A1 - 43
A1 - 45
B1 - 44
C2 - 33

Learners - 25
Teachers - 42

November 28, 2013

Great initiative, thumbs up Matt ; )

November 18, 2013

Hi, everyone, I am Cissi, Matt's group member.  For supporting the group, I recorded something and have already uploaded on Matt's group on QQ and Youtube as well. They are Aesop's Fables, lyrics of Chinese popular songs or Chinese learning materials, and I will put more gradually.  You just need to key in <em>"Chinese listening Cissi"</em> to find out related videos. Here is one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGyNubZifYk

That means in Matt's Chinese learning group, you can practise not only Chinese writing/reading, but also Chinese listening.

Any article of interests, just feel free to let me know, I'd like to make it for you as possible as I can.

Thank you very much for your attention!

March 28, 2014
Show more