Site Feedback

What does fluency mean to you?

We are here for the same reason, fluency in foreign languages!

But as we all know, there's no such ends in terms of learning languages.

So I'd like to ask you some questions.

What makes a person fluent in a language?

What aspects do you think are important in learning other languages?

These questions may be a key to reach our goals in learning languages.

I used to think that fluency was "perfection," and tried to be "perfect," but this just can't be done.

There's no perfection in languages.

I speak Korean fluently since it's my mother tongue, but it doesn't mean that I'm PERFECT in Korean.

I sometimes make grammatical mistakes,or I can't even understand some dialects or words, but I am still considered as FLUENT.

However, even though I can survive with my English without any helps, and I've learned grammars and vocabulary for years and years, I often hesitate to call myself fluent in English.

What makes it so?

Why am I-possibly are we-obsessed with perfection when it comes to foreign languages?

So I'm curious about your opinion.

WHAT makes a person fluent in a language?

Native-sounding pronunciation?

Proper usage of words and expressions?

A wide knowledge of grammar and vocabulary?

Or can it possibly include a cultural background as well?

Let's discuss!

Different opinions are welcome.

Share:

Comments

First of all :

I want to say that it's amazing discussion . . . I really admire it . . . ( High Five ),

about Perfection & Fluency :

for me Perfection means just doing your best, without caring about what will be the result that you will get . . . just do what you really can do,

so about Fluency in foreign languages ( which we are talking about here of course )

just try to learn as much as you can . . . just try to practice as much as you can . . . just try to figure the best & the funniest way of learning language . . . in order to reach just one thing . . . which is . . . the ability of dealing with this language native speakers,

Don't look for perfection . . . because you won't never get it,

Just do your best . . . and you will get more than what you can imagine,

Finaly . . . maybe I am wrong,

Sorry for my bad language . . . but as you know . . . I am not perfect :P

Thanks for the great opinion!

So in your opinion, if we can deal with native speakers within our ablities, that gives us a fluency.

You got the point. We shouldn't compare us to others, us to ourselves! :D

So, WE set the limit in languages.

Thank you. Very good point!

In my opinion what is important in communication is to understand and to be understood. About perfection it is obvious that there is nobody perfect but it is just said so in the expression practice makes 'perfect' in order to encourage training and habituation 

I think we should not just imitate "perfect". I feel something when I learn english and japanese in formal way that is different from native speaker. I think they feel it is hard to pronounce or too lazy to speak

So becoming the way of speaking. But it still need to go through basical grammar to understand it.

Like I have to listen to japanese finish all sentence so I can understand what he say about future or past.

Sometimes it is too long. So I think, anyway, it is good to shorten the formal sentence. So learning basical languages, others let it be.

Add a comment