Site Feedback

What's the difference between "gaze" and "stare" ?

Hi, I'm french and I would like to know what's the difference between "gaze" and "stare".

Thank you:)

Share:

Comments

I usually think of a stare as more rude. Example: "He stared at the scar on her cheek." Then a gaze is more affectionate or it has more feelings in it. Example: "She gazed longingly at him."

Hello, Malorie:

If a girl walked down street with red, yellow, and blue hair, you would look at her because she looked so strange.  She might get angry and ask "What are you STARING at?"

If you saw your father sitting in the  garden for a long time, you might ask him "What are you doing?"  He might reply, "Oh, nothing.  I have just been GAZING at the moon for an hour and appreciating its beauty."

Edit: walked down THE street ....

You never hear 'gaze' in conversations. It's like an old word you only see in books and stuff. To 'stare' is just to look at one thing for a long time.

So like ----> What are you staring at? (it has 'what's so interesting' kind of nuance.)

What are you looking at?

What are you gazing at?

Same meaning, but gaze is more armorous and not used in daily speech.

Considering Carmen’s comment, an example of expression you can find in books is “historical gaze”

If we are taking a view for a little amount of time we use the word GAZE.

If we look at something,surprised or interested for some time we use the word STARE.

Gaze=Romantic

Stare=Stalker 

Add a comment