Site Feedback

Do I really need to learn slang English ?

Do I really need to learn slang English to be able to deal with English native speakers ?

& Is there a huge difference between Normal English & Slang English ?

One more question . . . Do all English native speakers write their comments here with "slang English" or with "complete correct grammar & spelling English" ?

To be honest . . . sometimes I just can't understand the comment, even with using the translator,

Share:

Comments

Tough question, and I don't know if there's one right answer. I think most English speakers use some degree of slang, but it depends on what you would consider "slang". For example, in American spoken English, you would very rarely hear someone say "I'm going to go to the store". Instead, people say "I'm gonna go to the store", but that isn't technicially correct. In proper written English, "gonna" does not exist and you won't see it in newspapers or anything like that.

On internet comments, people tend to write more like they speak, so it's more common to see things like "I'm gonna...".

Do you have an example of a comment you don't understand?

Thank you Jen so much :)

I really appreciate your comment,

But actually . . . I don't remember an example now,

maybe, when I face something like that again, I will try to mention it,

& maybe I will face something like that here in this discussion,

But I can get from your comment that . . . yes, I must learn slang English, right?

Anyway . . . thanks alot,

If the slang is too abtruse to understand or recall , I would suggest you spend more time in mastering   your English proficiency rather than these slangs . If the slang is not too hard to retain and it is apparently useful , like "both heads are better than one " "do not put your cart before your horse" , I would suggest you may learn and master it .

Feel free  to correct my sentence if any incoherence or mistake

I don't expect foreigners to use slang so if they do then if their pronounciation isn't perfect then I might not get what they mean.

So I would only move to slang once you're perfect in English.

I would advise that you just learn proper English and then when and if you post a question/comment/notebook entry you ask that in addition to corrections native speakers post a slang version if there is one. In my experience, no American speaks formally and perfectly even if they write that way. So using an example above, a native speaker here in the southeast US would say "I am going to the store to buy a bunch of bananas." They would say "I'm gonna run to the store to pick up some bananas". So get the "proper" English learned and then make it fun by learning informal English. Also, I think informal English is a step or two away from slang, two separate things, I think. For example: "I'm going to make a u-turn with my car" would translate to slang "I'ma flip a yewie." or "May I please have a cigarette?" would be "Let me get one uh them squares." Slang is very regional and can also be specific to other factors, too. 

Slang is not only unnecessary,  but becomes a serious obstacle to learning English.

Slang appears in  several places:

In TV and Movies,   and in Novels,  and in     verbal expressions of people using their native language.

Students of English (for example) all too often suppose if they learn  Slang expressions

(Idioms)   they will "fit in" and "find acceptance.   The problem is that without knowing the many nuances and subtle distinctions of a  Culture, the chance of using  Slang in a foolish or inappropriate way is very great.   I've  had conversations who have heard, for example,  English Profanity in Asia, and their understanding of what is being said is silly or worse, stupid.

Slang is more cryptic  than English Literalisms.  Science,  Philosophy,   Law and the Technical Professions generally, all rely heavily on Literalisms, not slang.  Imagine a student in Medical School using Slang  for medical or anatomical terms,  and you will have some idea how inappropriate Slang can be.  This is true for all writing in  College for Essays, or passing an exam in the English Language.

One of the peculiar errors commonly seen by students of Language, is when they ask questions about Slang and its use, in the confused understanding that some sort of Rule, like Grammar, applies also to Slang. The consequence of that misunderstanding is that if English Literalism is difficult, it is so much more difficult to learn Slang, because there are no Rules for Slang. Slang is an invention and moreover, it is typically the product of dysfunctional  youth, who rather than cultivate their own language in a proper way, acquire a "hidden" or "secret" language which exclusively belongs to their Peer Group.

So the end result of employing slang, is that people sound stupid, to be blunt about it.

Also, there is (or used to be) on Italki Forums, situations where certain individuals were very knowledgeable about English Slang and Idiomatic Expressions, and they   where very "helpful" to foreign students who were deluded into thinking that Slang English was important for their education  and cultural status.   Such "teachers"    must have appeared very wise indeed,  when educating   foreign students to a Dozen  or more of "hip" expressions which were guaranteed to make one fit right in with Americans.  Armed with   slang expressions commonly used by the lowest level of American Society, the students could theoretically,   sally forth and sound what for them,  was  Typical American communication.  How disappointed they must be when they find out that the  expressions they use are  in some instances,  Outdated,  in others,  Offensive, and in still others,  Inappropriate or simply regarded as Rude  expressions.

I do with with my students to explain subtle distinctions in language,  such as those referring either to anatomy or body functions.   However,  the simple fact is that the real issue for   most language students is acquiring the ability to express English Literalisms and to do so with a confidence in their vocabulary.

To be honest . . . sometimes I just can't understand the comment, even with using the translator,---I really care about you.

That is why a person requires practice with someone who  knows what they are doing as a teacher.

This might interest you.  I have a student from China,  who used a   "Translator"

The Translator the the student that the proper greeting  to use in English was "What's Up?"

I asked the student why they were speaking to me in that manner, because that is offensive to me.

I don't live in the Ghetto, and I don't pretend to live in the Ghetto, and I don't write or speak to people so as to treat them like a casual acquaintance.  I don't speak that way to my students, and don't expect them to speak to me that way. This is a student that I have greated about 10 times in an appropriate way.  The problem with speaking in a disrespectful way to  a "teacher" is that it makes it so much more difficult when the "teacher" tries to teach the "student" to speak and write so as to show that they respect themselves.  The crap people hear in TV and Movies and read in Novels won't suffice for meaningful conversation or writing in   society generally.

Original Poster, I would be circumspect about taking the above language advice from one who calls himself "teacher" when so, so many proper English punctuation and grammatical rules have been broken (not to mention an offensive and overt racist sentiment). 

Add a comment