Site Feedback

Are Asian languages (esp. east Asian) more distinct and disparite from each other than is in Europe?

Many of the european languages are obviosly connected (Germanic, Slavic, Romance/Latin). Japanese is not related to Mandarin; I do not know if the same is true of Korean, Vietnamese, languages spoken by minorities in China, Thai, etc. Are any of these languages related in any way?  There is (to me) obvious cultural influences which spread throughout Asia (Buddhism, the Chinese writing system and style, artistic and musical styles.) ---- A related question: Was there outside influence on the Korean writing system?

Is this the second or third time i've posted this discussion? Probably...lol. 

Share:

Comments

People living in the broad East asia share something similar ,for instance , Chinese characters , chopsticks and Buddism , however, their languages are quite different in grammar and its basic structure . You may as well say their pronunication is more similar amoong these languages . Their   cultures influence each other deeply and some of their mindset or life style are often similar as well .

Yeah...although you're kind of echoing things I wrote or at least already know. What about my question in relation to the Korean language? I have this idea (I don't know how true it is), that more influence came from China than went into China from other neighboring countries, but as I said. Buddhism of course originated in or near what is now India.

But why? Why are East Asian languages not as closely related as are European languages? Or, completely unrelated whereas European languages are related to each other.

"however, their languages are quite different in THEIR basic structure". Maybe the rules are easier to remember and learn in this way than from a grammer book, which is part of the point, no?

Add a comment