kathb
Any English speakers learning Thai? Want to read an easy story book?

Dear Italkers

I am writing an easy story book in Thai (yes - in my bad Thai - it needs correcting). It is for people like me who are learning Thai. 

I am writing it because there are lots of fun and interesting stories and materials for people learning English. But there is not much for people learning Thai. Just grammar books really.

The story is about a farang man called Mr Orange who comes to Bangkok. He is mad about tea and is a scientist. He moves in a little soi and meets lots of interesting people - including a foretune teller, a mad Irish musician, a Japanese man who makes the plastic food you see outside restaurants. And of course he meets a funny, slightly crazy and beautiful Thai girl. There is a woman motor cy taxi driver too who lives on the street. And a street dog... 

It is a bit mad. And I want pictures in it too. I want to get it recorded too - so you can listen to conversations. And an English version. 

Do you like the sound of such a crazy story? What would make you read it? if you want to help me and help your Thai and get in touch. 

Thank you

Dec 8, 2013 4:40 AM
Comments · 8

I can help with the correcting Thai if it is not too long.

July 14, 2014

That's a great idea. I would love to read. I've been learning now for 2 months. my level of reading is only basic so i would love to read. I work as a graphic designer and have made a few books into ebooks for the kindle if you wanted me to do that for you, for free of course. Mezzie. I guess มานี are the manee books which i have recently downloaded but I haven't tried reading yet.

March 2, 2014

I think that sounds like a great idea! Right now I'm reading มานี because it introduces vocabulary a little at a time. I can decode pretty accurately if I go slowly and it isn't in a modern font (except for those times when one consonant is at the end of a syllable AND at the beginning of the next syllable. That one gets me every time...), but I don't understand the words I'm decoding, so it's hardly reading. I'm getting there, though. Maybe your book will come out right when I get to the level I could enjoy it! :D

You know... if you *really* want to help us learners out, you should publish it in the form of those dual-language books, only on the left it would be a traditional font, and on the right it would be the modern font! *I* would buy it, anyway. :)

Good luck on your endeavor, and keep us posted.

December 8, 2013

Sounds like a great idea. If it has a lot of direct speech it could teach daily conversation. Most books teach quite formal Thai that is not really spoken on the street - so you could have meet him with different people using different Thai, depending if they are from Isaan, from the south or well-educated Bangkoknians ...

I can't draw, but I would be interested in reading - could translate it to German and can ask people proof-reading it.

December 8, 2013

I am willing to help! Check out my profile as it might help you to decide! :)
Good luck and I am very proud of what you are doing!

September 5, 2014
Show more