Site Feedback

Por vs. Para?

Hi, I would just like to know in which situtation in Spanish you would say por or para. It seems like there are very specific times when you use each and its seems a bit random to me.

Share:

Comments

Hi!

I gonna explain it with example.

- He comprado una botella para ti. ---- I bought a bottle for you

- Esto está hecho por mi. ------ This is made by me.

Surely this is a topic so much long to explain. But I hope answer part of your question.

El caramelo me lo guardo paraluego. El caramelo es para ti

La planta está regada por ti.

El por y para se pueden usas para muchas cosas, pero sobre todo cuando despues va una persona.

Find a good Spanish-English dictionary, look up for the words "por" and "para" and if it's a good dictionary all the different uses of both prepositions will be exemplified. Those are totally different prepositions with different meanings that don't overlap, even if some uses of "for" are translated with "por" and some other uses are translated by "para". In general, "for" is translated as "para" in these cases:

-When it means destination or goal. It usually refers to the person for whom something is intended ("un regalo para tí"="a present for you", "canto para tí" (I sing for you). It can also mean the purpose of something ("tengo un poco de azúcar para el pastel"="I've got some sugar for the cake").

-When it's used to mean "according to..." or "in the opinion of..." someone, to express the opinion of someone about something. "Para mí es interesante, pero no para tí"="That's interesting for me, but not for you". That is, "in my opinion that's interesting, but not in your opinion".

-When expressing comparison ("hace mucho calor para esta época del año"="It's too hot for this time of the year", "Es mucho para mí"="It's too much for me").

Most other instances of "for" are translated with "por". But sometimes "for" is not translated at all. When it's used to express that you do a favor  to someone you use an indirect object construction. "I opened the door for her" would be "Le abrí la puerta". When it means duration it's not translated "I lived there for two years" would be "viví allí dos años".

"Por" is sometime used to express cause, and sometimes the notions of goal and cause overlap, but there is a distinction in the usage of por and the usage of para. In English, both the "for" meaning goal and the "for" meaning cause are expressed with the same preposition, but that's not the case in Spanish.

"Por" may also mean "by" when used to express the agent in pasive sentences.

I am not an expert but I will advise you that you learn as much examples you can, if you are trying to handle the Spanish and not trying to get a degree on this language.

Working hard a few hours later your brain magically will know how to do it well.

Make an image into your mind of each example sentence that you practice.

Some theory is not bad. Work the subject as many ways as you can.But remember when you were a child you dont learnt English by theoretical explanations

Regards.

Add a comment