Site Feedback

Saying "Thank you" for helping and for offering help

도와 주어서 고마워요 - "thank you for your help".

Does that  only mean "thank you for giving help" or also "thank you for offering help"?

If not how do I say the latter "thank you for offering help?"

도와 주어서 in advance 고마워요 !! :-)))

Share:

Comments

Hello anne09! "Thank you for your help" usually only means "Thank you for giving help."

An easier way to say "Thank you for offering help" would be just "Thanks for offering" or "Thank you for offering."

I would really appreciate the word for "offering".

Google translate gives me 10. :-)

Ah I see Samantha.... It seems my message gave you an impression that I am asking how to say it in English.

Sorry, I meant to ask how to say it in Korean :-))

도와 주어서 고마워요 means like "thank you because you helped me" or "thank you for your help" or "thank you for offering me help".

If you would like to write "thank you" at the end of your question, you can simply write "감사합니다." with your question instead of 도와 주어서 고마워요 because the former is more natural and often used.

FYI - sometimes we write "땡큐"('ㄸㅐㅇ' + 'ㅋㅠ')(Thang-que/θæŋk u) which comes from a word, "Thank you". So, if you show "땡큐" to Koreans, they will say "Thank you" in English.

NOTE: 땡큐 is not a Korean word. You can't find it in the Korean dictionary. It is kind of slang.

Here is an example.

"(Quote)

도와 주어서 고마워요 - "thank you for your help".

Does that only mean "thank you for giving help" or also "thank you for offering help"?

If not how do I say the latter "thank you for offering help?"

감사합니다!! (or 땡큐!!)

"(Quote)

You could probably write "미리 감사합니다." which is "Thank you in advance", but it is not an appropriate expression.

Hope it helps..

Thank you guys for your comments!

And sorry for my late reply! I was out of italki :)

Well, I had a situation when someone offered me their help. And while I was NOT going to use it and I wanted to make THAT clear I also wanted to show my appreciation for the fact that the help was offered!!

Maybe I am thinking too much in English but it feels like answering 감사합니다 will still give impression that I AM still PLANNING to use the HELP offer.

Maybe there is something completely different that Koreans say in this situation...

But it is ok! Thank you again for taking time to explain :-)))

How about using "괜찮아요, 마음만 감사히 받겠습니다." ?

It means.. It's okay, I'll just take your heart(your intention to help me)

Add a comment