Site Feedback

What Would You Do?

If you were in charge of ending world hunger where would you start?

Taken from The Book of Questions

http://npu.edu.ua/!e-book/book/djvu/A/iif_kgpm_Book_of_Questions.pdf

Share:

Comments

what are my authorities?

i will do everything :)

I would give the money from the banks to poor people. They are  responsible that  people haven't anythings

I'll try to convince all the government to feed its people as first thing to do and then to give opportunities everybody to have a job or work the earth for feeding themselves. No buy weapons or other!

I will start from this thinking . . . ( I will just do my best, & I hope I can succeed ),

& then I will collect those people :
1 - A very rich person who has never felt hungry before,
2 - A person who always buys a lot of food & always throws a lot in the garbage,
3 - A responsible person from a rich country,
4 - A responsible person from a poor country,
5 - A poor person who didn't try to rescue himself from poverty,
6 - & me,

& we will stay in a locked room without the key & without any food,

& just a bag of garbage will be with us,

& we will stay in this room until the feeling of starvation makes us to eat from the garbage,

Just then . . . we can figure the right way to end the world's hunger,

BTW, the book is very good,

alot of ideas for discussions . . . Thanks :)

Ok you guys...please stop and think about the question... to END world hunger where would you start? The earth actually produces all the food needed both to feed ourselves and all the animals on it.  I think the two biggest issues at the root of the problem are transportation and governmental policies.  

Oussama - you have all the authority you need to accomplish your goal.  What do you think needs to be done first?

Malik - I do believe you would; however, where will you start?  

Isabel - You're right. Greed does contribute to world hunger, but, what happens when the banks are empty?  How do you fix the problem permanently? 

Ayad - Charity makes a huge difference but you would likely have to force the rich man to give up his money.  Should we really do that?  What happens when the rich man's pockets are empty?  How will you end the hunger permanently?

Andre - great answer! But... what about countries that don't have enough arable land to feed their own people? Will creating jobs make the food available in those countries?

Georgi - So... that guy basically had bread and water for breakfast. :(  How do we get a steady supply of fresh veggies to him?  

IReallyCareAboutYou - Empathy is very important with this problem but don't make yourself sick eating out of the trash.  You get food poisoning and the only thing going through your mind will be, "Oh God, please help me quit vomiting!" o.0  The hungry children of the world are counting on you.  Stay healthy; you have work to do. :)  Now, where do you start?

"The world produces enough to feed the entire global population of 7 billion people. And yet, one person in eight on the planet goes to bed hungry each night. In some countries, one child in three is underweight. Why does hunger exist?" -   http://www.wfp.org/hunger/causes

"To alleviate this condition, efforts must address root causes, be sustainable (that is, programs must pay for themselves), and they must be implemented by local people for the long term." - https://www.freedomfromhunger.org/world-hunger-facts

http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Learn/world%20hunger%20facts%202002.htm

A deep and complete study about the traditions and nutritional habits of the different populations of the world would be the starting point. Wouldn't want to create cattle farms in certain parts where cattle is not a menu item. Then , a soil and water analysis of the different areas should follow , in order to increase local production as much as possible by planning the appropriate plantations and farms for the land. Here I will use my authority to build on what is already there : man power will be diverted from fields like the military to consolidate the farming efforts. In many areas , manpower is not enough , and climate has an important effect on production. for this purpose , I will again use my power to move products from the closest regions to such regions that can't produce the necessary food supply. A less human way would be to move populations to more fertile areas , but that's not my style. In the same time , a fertilisation effort of said areas is to be undertaken in order to dicrease reliability on imports.

I know transportaion is indeed a big problem , but I think we already have what it takes to transport goods efficiently via land , air and sea. companies like Maersk have a considerable working network for this purpose. With a bit of "convincing" , such companies can contribute to the cause. Later we can build twin companies like this one and dedicate them to the purpose of transporting food.

The financing of these projects will come from overly rich organisations and/or people.  

Awesome answer Oussama! What a novel idea... put the soldiers to work on the farms. Brilliant! :)  Such a much better world we would have if only we could make that happen.

What do you know about hydroponics?  Perhaps that would be a good solution for those areas that lack farmland due to terrain or climate. What do you think?  We could build skyscrapers full of gardens with hydroponics.

http://www.biowishtechnologies.com/uploads/hydroponic-farming-combats-food-shortages-and-world-hunger.pdf

You know, we already do produce enough food to feed the world yet we still have people starving; so we have to conclude that transporting the food where it's needed is definitely an issue.  If we already have the means by which to transport it then what is really stopping it from being done???  Any ideas?

Add a comment