igor
is German really a language of business, finance and banking?
Dec 20, 2013 4:40 PM
Comments · 2

You might be a little more specific in your question Igor! But, I must say that German is very beneficial for my career. Even more than English. Everybody knows English in the Netherlands, that is not a 'sales argument' of your resume. In Europe, Germany is the largest player. If you include Austria and Switzerland, there are more people speaking German in Europe than English. In the EU, German is the most spoken language. Apart from that, I disagree that Germans can speak English very well. Maybe the sales people can, but not the average German. They speak English but not very fluently. At least that is my experience. They always strongly prefer to get support in German when something goes wrong.

December 28, 2013

According to statistics there are about 229 million German first and second language speakers around the world. Germany's position as one of the ten major industrialized countries in the world and its leading position in import and export add further importance to the language.

Without any doubt, German speakers enjoy increased competitive advantage in today’s global business. Many Germans speak very good English and are very successful in doing business worldwide, but when it comes to business at home they prefer their native language. As the Danish saying goes: "Germans sell in English, but they buy in German."

December 28, 2013