Mezzie
คุณดูละครไหมคะ

Despite my husband's teasing, I've been trying to watch an hour or so of ละคร each day to improve my listening comprehension. The overacting, melodramatic music, and frequent repitition help me understand what's happening, so I'm not totally lost even though I don't understand many words yet. Plus, it helps me get familiar with the cadence of spoken Thai (not that I can mimic it yet), and I've learned a handful of common words from watching. So far I've watched the most recent version of พรพรหมอลเวง, เส้นตายสลายโสด, and I've just started 3 หนุ่มเนื้อทอง.

So... anyone else studying this way? Have any suggestions for what I should watch next? I live a few blocks away from a place that rents Thai dramas and movies, so I should be able to get my hands on just about anything recent. (Right now, ละคร seems a better option than movies because I don't get lost so easily).

Dec 22, 2013 12:16 AM
Comments · 4

I would much prefer to watch comedies, but they go too fast an I don't get the jokes (Let alone anything else!). Once I can understand those, I'll now I've made it. :)

December 27, 2013

Good job Mezzie :), Exposing yourself to a language as much as possible is the great way in improving and absorbing it. I remember walking to campus every day with my earphone plugged in. After a while of not being able to catch anything on podcasts, I started to comprehend what was going on a little day by day and now I watch comedy series (don't like soap opera) for the sake of having fun and not for the language anymore. Keep watching and you'll be fluent in no time :D

Ps. if you have any questions, don't hesitate to skyping me. 

December 26, 2013

I also studying English and Norwegian this way too :D

I totally agree that it watching movie/documentary help me undertand English more, if you keep doing like this. I'm sure that you'll improve pretty much within 1-2 months because it happens to me before :D.

Honestly i'm not that into Thai movies/series but "สุภาพบุรุษจุฑาเทพ" is one of the most popular series in 2013 among Thai people :D haha. So, i recommend you that. 

I hope this can help you in someway xD 

December 22, 2013

*repetition*  Sorry -- I was so concerned with spelling the names of the shows correctly, I didn't even check for typos in the English. 

December 22, 2013