Site Feedback

Is it impolite to delete someone from Skype contact list?

Assuming that we join skype for language practice, is it impolite to delete someone from contact list if he/she becomes irresponsive or is not online for several days? 

My Openion: When are talking to strangers, normally we don't have anything left to talk after two or more conversation sessions. So, this is explicit that we'll not talk much except, hello and how are you in future. I find several people simply not responding, or even invisible to avoid showing that they don't want to talk ( I undserstand, being busy is different thing ). So, why not just delete those contacts to whom you don't want to talk or due to which you're invisible. I think this should not be considered impolite because we all not why we joined conversation.

Share:

Comments

* opinion

Friendzar:

Some difficulty is evident  in your experiences.  Because I use "lesson materials" for discussion and practive of English,  I relieve my students of the need to offer conversation.

As a person   who assists with foreigners studying English, it is my   responsibility to  give. I am not  burdening my language partner  with a need to entertain me.

Most foreign students of English do not know what to say.  My Notebook Entries consist entirely of Lessons Materials that I use with my students.

It appears that you probably  found language partners   without the benefit of a Lesson Plan  for the practice of English.     What you describe, is not really Language Study.  What you are doing is the equivalent of "Making---Friends".  That is why you have this dilemma.

This difficulty is also evident in the other Italki Discussion Topics, wherein   forum members  presume in  their errant thinking,  that the learnign of English is nothing more than the manufacture of sounds that you have memorized.  Without IDEAS as the basis of  Communications in English, most people run out of things to say very quickly.  

In addition,  when it is presumed that all of your English Communication  should be premised upon

the equivalent of MAKING---NICE  with everybody, there is little other that could be expected other than that you run out of conversational subjects.

(continued)

So the difficulty  can be considered in two contexts:

CONTEXT THE FIRST:   The expectations placed upon language partners  is too high.

CONTEXT THE SECOND:  The expectations   placed upon language partners lacks 

all ideological foundation which would serves as the basis for discussion.

(Lesson Plans and Study Materials must be appropriate to the conversational level of any student).

@Jacky: Thanks for your feedback, of course I'm not talking about a few days, I mentioned several days othewise you can say weeks.

@Alexander999: Thanks for reliving me.

Personally, I think if long time not online doesn't mean he don't want to talk to you

If you send a message to them for a long time still don't reply to you

Perhaps really don't want to talk to you or keep them if necessary

Can do that maybe one day they take the initiative to communicate with you

I would send a aknowledge demand to that partner to prior to erasing his account . Make sure if he is going to practice English with me . After 2 or three times requrest later and no clear response , I would cross out the partner . I think it is better to both sides unless you are not going to practice language merely  .

Usually I'm sending a message to the person and asking them to delete me from their Skype contacts list and unfollow me on italki. Together with it, I agree with Bruce: you'd better to have some lesson plan, so that your sessions with a language partner could be more focused on the language study and more effective.

@Valenitn: Yes, I agree with you on asking them to delete if they are responding to you. Regarding lesson plan, I think language partners don't like usual lesson plans because this is not class, this more about causal conversation to simulate real life situation. Based on my experience this hard to find some native english speaker willing to spend some time talking to stranger except professional teachers but after all we cannot always keep ourselves stuck in classes. I took professional coaching on verbling, however, now I think I should spend sometime talking in english other than classes. What do you say?

I wouldn't expect otherwise Jacky. :-D

Add a comment