Site Feedback

New Year's traditions.

Hello everyone! I want to know if in your country you do something special for New year's eve.

In Ecuador we burn dolls called "monigotes" that are made of paper. This year I bought one with the form of Minions :P

Share:

Comments

I use to drink as much as I can, then I spend the following two days enjoying the hangover.

@Alessandro Lol, really?

It's popular to go to the castle in the capital to watch the firework display. There's a concert on before.

Also after the bells sound for new year we sing 'Auld Lang Syne' which is a traditional Scottish song and we link hands. 

After the bells we go visit neighbour's houses and drink and be merry! :D

@Mimi That sounds really exciting! 

Party, firework, have fun, hang out, bbq

The best thing is make resolution for next year

We usually celebrate new year that prepare milk rice (cook rice with coconut milk) & some traditional sweets. All the family members get to gather and taking New Year breakfast. People believe it will help to keep happiness, prosperous & peace throughout the year.

Here is some information found to share with you for Chinese New Year.

Chinese New Year is the most important of traditional Chinese holidays. Windows and doors will be decorated with red color paper-cuts and  with popular themes of happiess, wealth and longevity. On the Eve of Chinese New Year, supper is a feast with families. The family will end the night with firecrackers. Early the next morning, children will meet their parents and seniors by wishing them a healthy and happy new year, and reveive money in red paper envelopes. Chinese people love red colour which symbolizes prosperity and good luck. The period around Chinese New Year is also the time of the largest human migration, and between 150 and 200 million migrant workers in China bring home their earnings and go to have a reunion dinner with their families on Chinese New Year Eve.

@Yustitia You're right, the resolution for next year is the best thing. @malithi that sounds delicious, i've never tried milk rice... Maybe I'll prepare it this year :p @CissiChen thanks for sharing about Chinese New Year, it seems pretty fun.

I wissh you all a good New Year eve!

A remarkable tradition in the Netherlands is the New Years dive. Some people go to the coast and dive into the sea at the first of January. It is a brave thing to do, since it is midwinter. They all go out really quickly and warm up with sausages and hot drinks, to celebrate.

I am always planning to do that one day, but I am just never at the coast on New Years day since my family lives in the south-east.

@jacky wow! I should go to Netherlands someday, it sounds fun diving for new year's eve! 

Add a comment