Site Feedback

A Gap Year

How does the idea of a 'gap year' (a break from studies between school and university) sound to you? If you had a chance to do it, what would you like to do?

Share:

Comments

Frankly, I am too old right now. However, if I were you I would like to have my gap year travelling around Europe by train. Unforgetabble

Traveling around Europe by train just for fun or something else?

Good things :)

This is an interesting question, Rami.  When my daughter graduated from high school, she wanted to take a year off.  I thought it was a terrible idea because I've seen others take time off after high school and then never continue with studies.  I tried to line something up for her to do like work or volunteer in a foreign country or participate in a program specifically geared towards a gap year, but I couldn't find anything that was in my price range.  So she travelled across the country by herself and visited some friends and family along the way.  She tried to find jobs, but wasn't terribly successful, which turned out, perhaps, to be a good thing because she realized that a high school education wouldn't get her very far in life these days.  She started applying for universities and now she is in her third year.

As for me, I went straight to university following high school and after two years was burnt out, so I ended up taking a kind of gap year (I participated in SWAP - I worked and travelled overseas for several months) before returning to finish my undergraduate degree.

All this to say, if you don't know what you want to do or what your passion is when you finish high school, then taking a year off may be what you need.  Make sure to use the time wisely to really think about what you like and what you want to do in five years, ten years.  You may not have all the answers, but, hopefully, after a bit of reflection, talking to people and trying different things, you will at least have a better idea of makes you tick.

All the best in the New Year!  (^_^)

Well Arlana, good point. I think you're right.

Wow, what an awesome question! If i were you i would travel to another country with my family, to enjoy the beautiful scenery, to study the colorful cultures, and of course to taste the delicious foods. :D When i visit a place, i'll send postcards for my friends, that would be very interesting i think!

Well Monica, I wish you a lovely journey :)

Add a comment